How do winter tires perform in mud?

I'm about to order winter tires for a Ranger 4x4 (probably Michelin Latitudes); I'm wondering how they perform in mud. Or should I be looking at an off-road tire in a narrow width instead?

Reply to
bdubya

Deep snow and mud have very similar tire needs, (i.e. large voids and big lugs), plowed snow and ice require as many gripping edges as possible and large voids aren't nearly as important. I think BFG All-Terrain K/O's (which I run on my truck) have the best balance between cutting edges and voids. while they're not as good as a mud terrain T/A in the mud, they're waay better for winter driving conditions.

hth, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I run the same tires. I got caught in a snowstorm a week after I put the AT K/O's on and they were awesome. I had to drive 250 kms through the snow in the Northern Rockies on the ALaska Highway towing a small trailer with about 600 lbs of hear in the back of the truck. Much of it was in four wheel drive since we were constantly going up and down hills. I thought the tires performed admirably.

We also encountered a some very muddy sections and drove into some camp spots that were pretty soft and deep. Traction in the mud was very good ,especially in four wheel drive. I can't say how well the tires will wear or how they will perform when they do wear down a bit but right now they are tremendous.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

Was this a "hear" hunting trip?

DJ

Reply to
DJ

We also are running them on one Jeep with BFG muds on the other and both Jeeps run the same trails.

Muds are better in mud and deeper snow, but 'better' is a relative term when comparing those two tires, they both go anywhere, each shine a bit in their own specialty.

I do not think the winter 'performance' tires would work well at all in mud. They have many small cuts and look like they would pack to slicks fast.

Mike

Mike Romain

While I've not (yet) had the opportunity to drive in the snow, I can tell you XTerrains work really good in the mud. They don't pack up and have plenty of bite..

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Thanks for the tips, all. I've just checked the user reviews at TireRack.com, and it sounds like the T/A KO is exactly what I was hoping to find.

( Heck, it may be more tire than I thought was POSSIBLE - I found one review from an '87 Ranger driver who says he "went up a hill that was probly 80 degrees without a problem". I have GOT to get me a set of those....)

bw

Reply to
bdubya

Whoops, nope. I meant 600 lbs of Gear, not Bear or even Hear. That was an epic all night drive in an effort to out run the worst of a huge snowstorm that hit Northern BC in September. I thank those tires for getting us out of there safely mere hours before the area became impassable.

We stopped a few times for people who had gone off the road but everyone was okay. Both times I looked at Fiona and said,"So, how glad am I that I got the new tires now?".

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

It might have been recovery "hear".