How long do front end parts last?

I realize it's all about how you drive on what kind of roads, how often you balance your tires, etc...

But for a 99 Ranger that has lived mostly on decent paved roads, about how many miles could a guy expect from ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, etc?

I took my truck in for an alignment recently (after a righteous curb shot in the snow) and the tire shop said they can't align it because the ball joints are worn.

I wouldn't be surprised, as the truck has over 167,000 miles. It seems to drive alright (except for pulling to the left after hitting the curb). I put some scrub tires I had on the front for now, so that my nice (new) ones don't get eaten up.

For normal driving with a 'modern' vehicle, does it sound about time for some parts?

Thanks.

-J

Reply to
U.N.

After 167k miles and a good curb impact, you are fortunate that all they found was ball joints. A good tire shop will inspect the ball joints, tie rod ends and other suspension/steering components for wear (usually excessive looseness/play). There are standards for components used to determine out of spec conditions. Most shops will tell you they can't align the vehicle if the components are out of spec. This is done for several reasons. They get to charge for parts and labor, liability issues, or the alignment simply won't be any good or remain aligned and you will be back for a re-do under their warranty (if any). I would believe them in this case and have the ball joints done. Bad ball joints can cause excessive tire wear and even serious handling and steering problems if worn enough....

DaveD

Reply to
Dave D

The problem I have with this place is on the occasion that I take it in for say, a simple oil change, they'll look at the mileage and give me a 4 or 5 page printout of all these "recommended maintenance items". Things like trans fluid changes, timing belt replacement, alternator, battery, water pump replacement, p/s circuit changes, brake circuit flushing, brake pads/rotors/drums all around etc. I never ask for anything other than an oil change, but I get handed a $3,500 estimate for all kinds of other work that they claim needs to be done, before even looking at the vehicle or asking if it's ever been done somewhere else. (for the record, it's been maintained quite well). Why do I take it here? It's the only 'convenient' place where I live for alignments, tires and mid-winter oil changes.

When I took it in for an alignment, they said "you have a bad upper balljoint" and handed me an estimate for $730 PER SIDE to change the upper ball joints. Fortunately for me, I own wrenches and Rock Auto will sell me all the parts to completely rebuild the front end for about $350. That's 2 lower ball joints, 2 upper control arm assemblies (with ball joints), control arm bushings all around, and two sets of inner/outer tie rod ends. Also, a stabilizer link for each side. Moog branded parts, no less. My guess is that if one ball joint is bad, everything else is right behind it, so if I'm going to pull it apart I'm doing it all.

Thing is, I hear all the time about people putting over 300K on cars these days and never once touching the suspension. In this case, ball joints at 167K sound a little premature. I'm only going to ask an official 200K out of my Ranger. At that point I'll get something else for a daily driver (but still keep it for those times when I need a truck).

Thanks.

Reply to
U.N.

I've had vehicles that wore our ball joints in 25,000 miles. Others go well past 100,000. At 167,000 it's probably due.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I agree, You did well at 167,000 miles and only ball joints. 300,000 is a reach for anyone. It is the exception , not the rule. 200,000 is a reach. And of course the shop has a interest in getting more repairs done. And plenty of people just say to them, Yea go ahead fix it.

Reply to
None4U