Goodyear says axle seal leak

I just got an oil change on my 2000 Silverado 4x4 and as always Goodyear says it needs something: an axle seal going into my wheel. They say it leaks and will cost $100 to fix.

A second independent mechanic says it would be around $750-800 at the Chevy dealer BUT: it is normal to lose some fluid in small amounts. My truck has 120k on it. He said that if the lubricant is not showing up where I park that he would not worry about it.

I took a look under the truck where the axle meets the wheel and see no leaking.

Any pointers guys? I am inclined to doubt Goodyear since I keep getting all kinds of warnings from them on every vehicle I take in there for an oil change.

RonT

Reply to
Ron Truitt

Tell Goodyear to go piss up a rope.

Snuffy

Reply to
Snuffy Smiff

Tell 'em that you will take your truck to the Dealer for service and if they they'll you that there is nothing amiss then the Dealer will be doing the oil changes too and THEN see what they say.

-- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Reply to
Black Dog

Reply to
Black Dog

Reply to
john smith

I had Goodyear align the front end of a 1982 F150 pickup years ago. This is right after I bought it used and I had them install new tires. Well it drove OK but the tires started wearing in a month on he edges. I jacked it up and the lower ball joints were worn badly. I went back to them pissed that they aligned it with bad ball joints. They claimed that they must have gone bad in the last month. They wouldn't pay for the new front tires or another alignment. Fact is the truck was only driven on smooth roads and the tires that were taken off the truck just after I bought it were worn the same. So the ball joints weren't inspected prior to alignment. I've never spent another penny at a Goodyear since.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

$100 for a $5 seal and $5 differential cover seal?

Reply to
Eugene

Add an hour or two of labor and that sounds reasonable.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

I wouldn't trust this "independent" mechanic at all. It won't cost that much to do axle seals at a dealership. And it is "not" normal to lose some fluid in small amounts. But the time an axle seal is leaking on the ground....it's a fairly bad leak already.

You must be ready for this type of thing no matter where you take your vehicle. Most mechanics are trained to look for other items that a vehicle might need even when just doing an oil change. There isn't anything wrong with this...unless someone is attempting to sell items that don't really need to be done. All customers are different, you have the ones that "just want the oil change" done...and would almost prefer that you don't look at anything else. Then there are the other customers who would be quite upset if you didn't notice something that was going "south" on their vehicle...they expect you to find these things and advise them about it. We even get the customers that believe that we have crystal balls, or are prescient and can tell them the future of their cars repair needs.

If you don't have a good personal relationship with the place that you are dealing with....always err on the side of caution. Of course the trick is to find someone who is honest and capable, and then stick with them.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

You can let it go but eventually it will need to be repaired. In the meantime, you run the risk of ruining the brake lining (drum brakes only). The dealer did both sides on my 1990 Suburban (rear axle) for $200 but that was over a year ago. I just don't trust the guys at Goodyear, Firestone, etc. Rich B

Rich B

I replaced mine in about 30 minutes and thats counting finding the jackstands in the garage.

Reply to
Eugene

So you're saying you would do it for $30.00?

Reply to
el Diablo

I hope you are working as a flat rate mechanic, you could make some good money.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

When the axle seal leaks bad enough to contaminate the shoes/pads..... then it is time to replace. Even a brand new or rebuilt axle housing will weep a little fluid past the seals. When it's time to replace the seal and if you have a c-clip type axle retainer then it's more cost effetive to replace both axle seals since you have to partially dissassemble the rear differential and remove the cross-pin to gain access to the c-clips that retain the axles. I used to work for them years ago and a foreign job came in with a external oil pump/filter combo..... after diagnosing a leaking oil filter and reporting to the manager he told me to sell the customer a oil pump, he doesn't need a oil pump boss....he needs a filter..... you're not going to work out here very well.....ya got that shit right.....toodaloo.

Reply to
Mad Dog

It's too late by that time. Last time I checked, it's best to replace the seal "before" it wrecks the brake shoes. A lot more cost effective.

No they don't! I work on mainly newer vehicles and they don't "weep" fluid normally. It's possible to see some of the factory grease coming out of them, but that's it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

There is nothing to it, put the axel on jackstands and pull the wheels and drums, take the diff cover off, pull the bolt and gears and such out, push in the axels to pop off the c clips and slide the axels out and replace the seal. First time I ever replaced them on my 88 it took longer though because I dropped a c clip into the pan I drained the gear oil into so I had to dig through it to find the c clip :)

Reply to
Eugene

I'm saying that its a real easy job no need to pay someone else to do it unless your afriad of breaking a nail or something.

Reply to
Eugene

Actually I'm afraid to break a nail, that hurts!

Reply to
el Diablo

Oh how I don't miss those frequent forreys into the black goo at the bottom of a pan. Tool are magnetically attracted to the stuff. I could drop a socket on one side of the shop, and after 3 or miraculous richochets it always finds that bucket/pan of oil. Never fails, especially if the oil is really nasty, and hot. Magnents are nice, but not always handy (though I have learned! and now they are ALWAYS handy).

Big Chris

Eugene wrote:

Reply to
Big Chris