Hubcaps falling of new 03 E-150 van

This is the continuing story of hubcaps that keep falling off my new 03 E-150 cargo van. To date 4 caps and one wheel have all been replaced on the right front wheel. Last week,hubcap number 4 arrived at the dealer and when the shop foreman attempted to put it on he noticed that the new rim had a defect, the same defect that was detected on the factory rim. The ' nubs ' that held the cap to the wheel rim were not allowing the aluminum hubcap to hold tight.

This was odd since I figured the tech who replaced the wheel rim and put on a new cap should have noticed it and even odder why the replacement rim had the same type of defect the factory rim had?

So now I am waiting on a second new wheel to arrive. In the meantime light cupping on the outside of the tire is beginning to appear looking strangely like the wheel is out of alignment. I pointed this out to the service manager who agreed it was odd and ordered a wheel alignment for the van to be done when the second new rim is replaced.

I finally got a phone reply from Ford Customer Service to my earlier email request for help. "Sandra", I had to ask her name, stated the problem needed to be taken care of right away and would contact my local Ford Dealer. When I spoke to my local dealer yesterday, they said they had no knowledge of any communication from Sandra regarding the issue. I guess Sandra got busy and forgot.

Overall the vehicle has had no problems, mechanical or otherwise. I'm sure the rim replacement and wheel re-alignment and/or front end parts replacement if necessary, will eventually resolve the problem.

Reply to
Jim Whif

Cupping wear of the tread is an indication of a bad shock, worn ball joints, etc. or, out-of-balance condition.

Reply to
lugnut

So today they checked the hubcap against the new wheel and found it was exactly the same as the mounted rim. Seems the aluminum hubcap has to be installed a special way to insure a tight fit.

Front end check showed caster, camber up to specs. No aligment was needed.

Vehicle was returned to me with a suggestion that the tires might be rotated when vehicle hits 2K miles. (currently has 1700 miles)

Rim and hubcap will be tested in the next few days on a dirt road that has some serious washboard affording plenty of sideways motion when traveling to fast...

More to come.....

Reply to
Jim Whif