I6 4.9 Liter Distributor problem

Hi all, I have a strange one for you... I have a 1988 F-150 with a 4.9 liter inline 6 which suddenly died in traffic and will not restart. After eliminating fuel and air as problems i turned to spark and soon realized that the rotor was not turning when the engine was cranked. I pulled the distributor and found that the shaft turns easily and does spin the rotor stator and that the shear pin is intact on the drive gear. At this point i am just about at the limits of my technical expertise. Is the distributor powered by the camshaft? When i crank the engine while looking in the distributor hole, the gear that aligns with the distributor gear does not turn. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Following are any specs i can think of that might help. Please let me know if any more info is needed. Thanks much

1988 F-150 4x4 4.9 liter inline 6-cylinder tuned-port fuel injection TFI/EEC-IV ignition
Reply to
robbinsjr1

probably sheared a timing gear or your cam broke.

ds549

Yes.

Timing gears, sheared crankshaft key or broken camshaft WBMG.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

The cam has a fiber gear driven by a steel gear on the crankshaft, most likely the fibre gear has broke. replace the timing gear set, figure 4 hours labor plus an oil change.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Thanks for posting everyone. At least this gives me a place to start...namely the timing cover =) Will update progress for the benefit of the next person who finds themself in this situation.

Reply to
robbinsjr1