is this an ABS problem, how to fix? 94 Ford Ranger

I have a 94 Ford Ranger (2WD) and a ouple days ago the ABS light came on. Since then the light has not been coming on, but the breaks are not working properly. The break pedal feels like there is no pressure and when I do push it all the way down I can hear the tires skid intermitindly almsot like the breaks arent grabbing. It's very scary driving this way!!

Needless to say I am keeping the truck off the road until I can figure this out. I checked the brake fluid, seemed okay, but I added a little just to be safe with no real effect. Any clue as to what this is and how I can fix it?

--Kevin

Reply to
kevin

Are you loosing brake fluid or does the level stay constant?

Do you hear any noises that might sound like some type of vacuum?

Are you going to fix the problem yourself if you find it, or take it to a shop?

Clark

Reply to
Clark

It doesnt seem like I am loosing brake fluid.

No

Id like to fix it myself once I discover the problem any idea?

Reply to
kevin

Check carefully to see if you are losing brake fluid. First place to look is at the ABS pump. It's a shiny metal block with lots of funny-shaped steel tubes running in and out of it. I had a 1993 Nissan Maxima that was doing the same thing -- I did not see any brake fluid leaks but found a small puddle on top of the wheel well, underneath the ABS pump. The pump was leaking, fluid was collecting on top of the wheel well, and nothing was dripping onto the ground -- which is where I was looking.

Hope it's not the ABS pump because, on the Nissan at least, it's a dealer fix and a lot of $$$$ ($800.00 or so as I recall).

Reply to
Joe S.

I cant seem to find the ABS pump, however I am losing brake fluid. I replaced the fluid and still the truck's brakes are dangerously poor. There aren't any visible signs of leakage (puddles etc..) so I've come to the conclusion it must be the master cynlinder. There are still some other things I need to check to make sure (including the ABS pump) before I try to replace the master cynlinder and any advice anyone might have is definetly appreciated.

One good thing, according to NAPA a rebuilt master cylinder (w/lifetime warranty) is about $50, so at least money wise I may luck out.

Reply to
kevin

If you know you are loosing brake fluid, you should be able to find out where. Put the truck somewhere and keep pressure on the brake pedal, or get something that will do that for you, and check for leaks. You might put cardboard under the truck or some other material that will show up the leaks. If you are loosing fluid, and you say you are, the break pressure is probably being bled off through the leak.

As the previous poster mentioned, the leak might be somewhere hard to see, or in an area that is already wet so it is hard to see. I don't remember if you said you had bled the brakes, old fluid may have moisture and needs to be replaced. The last time I replaced a master cylinder was when I wasn't loosing fluid, but I could put the pedal to the floor. The fluid was leaking around the seals internally and loosing pressure.

You may also have a combination problem, where you are loosing some fluid, but another component is failing and aggravating the situation.

Clark

Reply to
Clark

I guess I should mention also that with an ABS system, special procedures are used for bleeding and may also be required to find a leak if not moving.

Clark

Reply to
Clark

what kind of special procedures? I dont see any leakage on the driveway and there doesnt appear to be anything in the engine compart. or around the wheels, so at this point I am getting told (and coming to the conclusion) it is the Master Cylinder.

I still need soem time to make sure, but I am interested in what special procedures you are referring too?

Thanks

Kevin

Reply to
kevin

I have no idea what is wrong, and I am not a mechanic, so it may very well be what you think. According to the book, you need a scan tool type device to allow bleeding of the ABS system (HCU), which I believe just turns it on without the vehicle moving.

I guess you have to make a decision and weigh the cost of possibly repairing the wrong thing, or taking it to a repair facility.

Clark

Reply to
Clark