Is this the start of an ABS module malfunction?

Whenever I start the car and pull away for the first time there is a horrible loud noise which sounds like metal scraping against metal. I first thought it was coming from the driveshaft or suspension area but have know pinpointed it to the ABS module (the lump that is bolted to the bulkhead) as temporarily disconnecting the ABS the noise disappears. The handbook says that once the car is started the ABS does a self-test initialisation when the vehicle reaches 3 mph and you may hear a slight mechanical sound during this test. Well it's a heck of a lot louder than a "slight" mechanical sound!!

When I start the engine the ABS light will come on and go out after 3 secs as it should, but if I pull away fast the ABS light will sometimes come back on and remain lit - but if I pull away gently (or press the brake before moving the vehicle) the ABS light will remain out as it should. Does it sound like the module is on its way out?

Reply to
Mark

No, it sounds like you have worn out disc pads.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Pads & shoes are in good condition and the brakes work excellent. The noise is coming from the ABS module during the self-test initialisation period when the vehicle reaches 3 mph - not when the brakes are pressed.

Reply to
Mark

A make and model might help.

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

Daewoo Lanos.

Reply to
Mark

I'm only familiar with Mercedes ABS. If the system needs to be bled, the pump can be noisy. Otherwise the pump is probably on the way out.

John

Reply to
John

Thanks John, will try a system bleed first.

Reply to
Mark