manual hubs on ranger

I'm going to install manual hubs on my 94 ranger,says torque to 35 ft pounds to seat back off 90 degrees re torque 16 inch pounds, 20 inch pound torque wrench is least I can find,how critical is this.

Reply to
Tom

Are you talking about main hub bearing torque here??? If so the 35 ft lbs is to seat bearing and the other is to set preload. YOu do not want to exceed preload requirement but it is fine to error a bit to less than 16 in lbs but if it is too tight it can cause bearing failure.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Yep just a bit, even 15 would be fine too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan
20 Inch Pounds is fine, AFTER you get the 35 Foot Pound spec and back off 90°.

You can not set the inch pound spec and ignore the foot pound spec. You need to set the bearing while turning the tire by hand, then back off the prescribed 90°, then come back with the inch pound wrench and set the final spec. After all of this, you need to install the locknut to hold the spindle nut in place.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You know for what it is worth, I use these as guides anyway but it is better to error loose than tight with wheel bearings. When in doubt error to less preload every time. Myself after I use factory spec I "feel" the wheel/hub for end play and tweak it is need be. Been doing it that way for over 30 years and never lost a wheel bearing that I setup. THose old sturdy hub and bearing designs are getting to be a rare breed today with the bastard hub Dodge uses on itsa straight axle trucks and GM has long abandoned that style axle and hub on there trucks. Ford is basically the only one that still uses it some.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I agree. But, one does not want to apply inch pounds where foot pounds are called for. I can see where one might use 25 foot pounds instead of 30 foot pounds, for example. But, I can't see any application where the spec calls for x-number of foot pounds and y-number of inch pounds will suffice.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Then you need a new parts store. Foot-Pound torque wrenches are easy to find.

Technically, they're termed pound-foot not foot pound, but they will know what you mean.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

yes but he's looking for a in-lb torque wrench.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

sear's has a craftsman 3/8" drive dial type inch pound torque wrench $149 they also carry a KD Tools brand 0-50 inch pound micro meter (the kind you dial the amount in and then they click) for $198, but its 1/4 drive, as well as a "beam style" gauge wrench for $53.99, again in 1/4 inch drive rated 0-60 "inch pound"

I dont think in the 30+ years I have been turning wrenches I have ever used a torque wrench for wheel bearings, nor have I had any failures from not using one, ie from over tightnening or under tightening a bearing on everything from VW Beetles to the 25 ton HET tractors while in the service. It seems to me that the number of varibles thatcould give a false reading of 16 inch pounds are numerous, type of greese, temperature of grease, just plain ambient temperature

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Harbor frieght has some too a lot cheaper which are fine for the home mech.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Sorry, I had it backwards. I thought you had the inch pound wrench and wanted to skip the foot pound spec.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

A great ranger resource has info on this swap you're doing. The Ranger Station.

Mike H