Oil spigot

The last few times I've spun off the oil filter, the spigot has unthreaded from the engine and remained in the filter. Should I use some kind of locktite? I'd still like it to be removable if necessary in the future just in case someone x-threads it etc..

Reply to
RJeramy

No one else has had this B4 ?

Reply to
RJeramy

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:26:17 -0400, RJeramy rearranged some electrons to form:

Nope. Are you sure you unscrewed the filter the right direction?

Reply to
David M

Classic symptom of somebody forgetting to lube the threads of the oil filter with grease....not oil!!! and tightening the damn thing TOO tight....it's

1/2....one half turn after gasket contact not 1 1/2. use clean non-fiber grease to lubricate the threads and a few spots rubbed on the surface of the gasket and all should work ok....most people just forget to lube it or do the other thing...put detergent oil on the threads and the gasket....ever try to pry the gasket off the surface of the block after it "weld's" itself to it....
Reply to
Patrick Gilmore

I usually just hand tighten the filter, not sure what the previous owner did. I've never *greased* the threads before, cool tip - thanks! I'll give it a try next time I change the oil.

Reply to
RJeramy

It's not the threads that stick, it's the gasket. Just a thin layer of grease on the gasket is all that is needed and LEAVE THE OIL FILTER WRENCH IN THE STORE!! These thing need only be tightened by hand, ONE hand.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Reply to
Stephen