OK, reeeally stupid Question about a license plate frame...

I can't believe I'm actually posting this, but here's the story...

Have a '99 F150 Lariat, in NY, so the truck cam equipped from the factory with a front license plate frame. Well, the wife pulled into the driveway yesterday and I noticed the plate was hanging and bouncing a little, so I took a look and saw one half of the mounting bracket was broken. Aaaaah, no problem...just get a new one from a local AID auto or such, but let me take the broken one off before I lose the plate. Well, upon crawling under with a socket set ready to take the top brackets off, I am astounded to see the plastic riveted right to the steel bumper! Can't be - must be lack of light - probably a torx head....got a little surface rust, right? Wrong. Anyway, am I wrong is asking why in God's name would they steel rivet the plastic frame to the bumper?!? This has to be something that breaks often for people, so do I now have to drill out the rivets in the front bumper just to change the frame?! That said, due to the design of the front of the truck, I guess I have to get a replacement frame from Ford as well to get it to mount right. Sheesh. Before I go drilling my truck, is this right or was it really late on a Sunday and my brain was not in gear when I looked at this?

Thanks

PS - hmmm, since my window sticker said "front license plate frame - N/C" (no charge), what do you think my chances are of the dealer giving me a another for free? (joke)

Reply to
<IYM>

OK - now I feel stupid as I should have googled better before posting.... I found this which seems to indicate that there are clips of some kind on the inside of the bumper that I guess I missed....I'll have to go look again when I get home from work...

Sorry!

<IYM>

Here in Texas there is now a law that makes it illegal for a license plate frame to obscure ANY portion of the plate. Our plates have some nice artwork and if a frame so much as touches the artwork, it's cause for a cop to stop the vehicle......Apparently this was in response to all the dealers installing these advertisement frames for their business, but it is a stupid law and hopefully when enough old ladys get busted for 'obscuring' the plate, it will be repealed....maybe. We have two plates and the law applies to both.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt