overdrive transmission

Can any one tell me what year of over drive tranny will bolt to 1969 390 truck block?I have c6 in 1956 know and would like to go overdrive to get rpm's down under 3000at 60 mph.Truck has 3:50 gears.

Any info would be great Thanks

Reply to
Lane Brain

I don't think there's one that's not electronic. You could probably go with a E4OD, but you'll have to add a controller to it. The only non electronic

4 Speed was the AOD, but you won't find one to fit your bell housing pattern I don't think. Besides, it's really not strong enough for your application.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I don't recall any Ford produced OD's for an FE engine pattern. They have been behind the Ford small block V8's, the 300 six and the 429/460 as well as the Diesel. The current incarnation of the E4OD is behind the 5.4L V8 and the V10. Your best bet is probably a Gear Vendors unit which mounts to the rear of your C6. Take a look here:

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut