quality of aftermarket bumper chrome?

need... well, want... a replacement front bumper for my '93 F-150. Not only did the PO dent it in for me, but the chrome has not aged well. Any opinions on the chrome on aftermarket replacement bumpers? I see that LMC sells two different "levels" of chrome, is it worth paying more for the "premium?" Any vendors with better pricing? this is just a truck I use to haul stuff but I buffed and waxed it last weekend and now the bumper looks even shabbier against the rest of the truck.

thanks

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Have you thought of a visit to the junk yard. You can find a truck that was creamed from the back, and the front is still good. You might even find a bumper from, oh, say an Eddie Bauer Bronco, that fits and has openings for fog lights.

I don't know that the Eddit Bauer Bronco had fogs, but my point is there are different bumpers that fit your truck that might have features that your bumper does not have and that you could leverage for cool stuff that isn't otherwise avbailable, and the junk yard has far better prices on factory stuff than you will ever find outside of the junk yard.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Junk yard? What junk yard? I remember living somewhere where land values were low enough that junk yards still existed... that was a long time ago.

:(

nate

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 22:50:47 -0400, Nate Nagel rearranged some electrons to say:

For a 17 year old truck? Probably not.

Reply to
david

I have to go 30+ miles to find the junk yard, but the trip is generally worth it.

I recently bought a $125 Power Steering Pump Pulley -- JUST THE F---ING PULLEY! -- and the alternator bracket that adjust the belt tension for $10. I had to go 30 miles -- 60, round trip -- to save more than $150 on these two parts.

I see no reason you can't score a bumper for a short drive. I would not buy a bumper from LMC or JCWhitney. I bought some Jeep parts from Steel Horse, and they SUCKED. They were priced half of the dealer price, but they had less than half the steel and it was soft. Ask yourself, why is this stuff so cheap? Then jump in your truck and find a junk yard, or just live with a dent in the 16 (almost 17)-year old bumper.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Perhaps look for a non-chrome bumper? I'm not real big on chrome anyway, and conveniently enough my new truck has relatively little.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Jeff Strickland" wrote in news:h3rgcj$58l$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

CALL the yard and then you will know if they have anything before you bother to drive that far. KB

Reply to
Kevin