Ranger engine misses

My 94 Ranger with a 4 liter engine and AT does not pull my 20 ft travel trailer well. On hills and at highway speeds the engine-check light will come on and will start missing and lose power. After a 20 minute rest it will run good for a few miles then start missing again. It dosen't seem to heat up at all. First I replaced the fuel-air sensor, then the fuel filter then the spark plugs and wires. Nothing helped. When driving around town it is fine, however the problem seems to be getting worse. Can anyone help me?

Reply to
rhs

Did you check the computer codes? Hard to say much without knowing why the check engine light goes on. Thats not a very big engine to pull an RV, but if it's not overheating, I don't see why the RV would be causing the problem. Almost sounds like the engine is carboned up...If it's got carbon around intake valves, it can keep them from fully closing when the carbon gets real hot and expands..Might run some techron or whatever for a while to try to clean up any carbon..That carbon problem is real common with toyota's, etc..But I imagine applies to most all fuel injected cars.. MK

Reply to
nm5k