Re: 2001 7-pin trailer connect back-up circut dead? or never connected.

Thanks but all of the other circuits work; just the back-up pin (center pin) is dead. I don't have electric brakes on my trailer, I just need that center pin to be live when I put 'er in reverse. I just can't figure out why Ford neglected to do that unless there is a problem with my harness or connector. Is it possible to splice it into the factory connector? Anybody know what the color code is for back-up lights in the harness?

Thanks again

Reply to
designo

I have a 2001 SuperCrew with factory installed towing package. I've been

>towing a Load Rite trailer with drum brakes. The drum brakes never worked >correctly so Load Rite installed their new disk brake system. The surge >brakes are disabled with a solenoid activated when the truck is put into >reverse. Although the factory 7 pin connector is labeled as having the >center pin as the back-up lights, it is dead. I checked the fuse and it's >OK. The trailer dealer said he has seen several Fords with the same problem. >The plug from the trailer came with a spare wire to hook up directly to the >truck's back-up lights; which I did temporarily but it kind of Micky Mouse. > >Should the back-up pin on the connector be operable? Or is this something >that Ford didn't do? I called Ford customer service and they said that they >couldn't say for sure. Since I have 71K miles on the truck, there is no >warrantee. Seems like Ford should make good on it if it wasn't hooked up >correctly in production. But I have a feeling I am going to have to pay my >local Ford dealer their $70.00/hr to look at it and fix it. > >Appreciate any thoughts? > >Rob H.> >

Don't know how it is done on the 150's, but on my 250 there was a package in the glove box that had a relay which needed to be installed to make the backup lights work on a trailer.

Reply to
Chris Hill

On the F-250 it was a 30A fuse and a relay to be installed for the backup lights. If this is not installed the circuit to the 7 pin connector would be dead.

Reply to
Martin Rogoff

I don't remember the color of the wire, but I just used an ice pick to get through the insulation to use my tester to find the backup circuit and taped into it. My backup lights work. 2000 F-250 V-10

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J