Re: 94 Ranger Pinging

A contaminated MAF sensor can cause this problem, and is fairly common on these. They can be expensive, so try the other suggestions first, but if all else fails...

-Robert Apprentice Automotive Technician

I have a 94 Ranger that I bought used with 110K miles on it. > > > > V-6 4L Engine > > Automatic > > A/C > > > > It runs great except for excessive pinging or "rattling" on mild to heavy > acceleration. > > Engine temperature seems to make no difference. > > I have tried medium grade fuel which does not seem to help. > > > > Any thought on where to start looking for problem. > > > >
Reply to
Bob

I had a pinging problem on my 94 Explorer and it ended up being the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. I did not need to replace it. I just took it out and sprayed the two small wire sensors with brake cleaner, then let it dry and put it back in. Pinging completely stopped, and all it cost me was a few sprays of brake cleaner. Of course, I already had the anti-tamper star-bit set required to remove the MAF sensor. I performed this over a year ago and have yet to hear any more pinging. Here is a helpful link where I got my information:

This isfrom an Explorer Maintenance website.

Reply to
Luke Peterson

Thanks for the good tip and site link. I removed and cleaned the MAF and what a differance. No ping and more power. We will see how long it last. Thanks again.

Reply to
Bob