Repairing Interior Cab Top Fabric

I have an 89 Ford Ranger XLT that I have owned since it was new. The fabric or cloth interior on the cab ceiling needs to be replaced. Is this a do it yourself project or for a professional?

Over the years, it has been nicked, cut, or somehow damaged. It is extremely delicate as of now. Most likely due to age. Beneath the fabric appears to be a foam type material.

Reply to
someone

That is called a headliner.

I helped an old girlfriend replace the headliner in her '65 Mustang once. The new headliner came completely sewed up and after removing the necessary interior mouldings and figureing out how the bows came out, it was pretty simple to get the bows stuffed into the headliner pockets and get it back in place.

It took several hours to get the job done, but once it was done, you couldn't tell it was done by a couple of rookies. The "thank you" tumble I got in the back seat afterwards was a bonus. :)

A quick goolge search for "Ranger headliner" netted me over a dozen links to truck headliner kits.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Or... You could take it to an upholstry shop, and they can recover it for you. The problem with trying to reglue it yourself is that generally when these fail it's because the foam between the 'carboard' and the fabric deteriorates. If you can do your own R&I than you could take it down and have it recovered and still save some serious $$.

Kate

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... | On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 04:02:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@mailinator.com wrote: | | >I have an 89 Ford Ranger XLT that I have owned since it was new. The | >fabric or cloth interior on the cab ceiling needs to be replaced. Is | >this a do it yourself project or for a professional? | | That is called a headliner. | | >Over the years, it has been nicked, cut, or somehow damaged. It is | >extremely delicate as of now. Most likely due to age. Beneath the | >fabric appears to be a foam type material. | | I helped an old girlfriend replace the headliner in her '65 Mustang | once. The new headliner came completely sewed up and after removing | the necessary interior mouldings and figureing out how the bows came | out, it was pretty simple to get the bows stuffed into the headliner | pockets and get it back in place. | | It took several hours to get the job done, but once it was done, you | couldn't tell it was done by a couple of rookies. The "thank you" | tumble I got in the back seat afterwards was a bonus. :) | | A quick goolge search for "Ranger headliner" netted me over a dozen | links to truck headliner kits. | | |

Reply to
SVTKate