Replace terminals vs. battery cables?

Hello all,

My batter terminal clamps are in rough shape. The positive terminal appears to be screwed onto the cable; the negative is crimped. Both cables look like they have seen better days, but could go a while. Should I expect to replace the cables, or just the terminals? Cables appear to go for $90 or so; is that reasonable, and does it cover both positive and negative? Any gottchas?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

Unless the cables exhibit other problems, corrosion, overheating etc., you can buy replacement terminals that will clamp onto your existing cables. Just remember the positive and negative terminals are different sizes so buy and connect accordingly.

Reply to
I. Care

I don't like clamp-on replacement terminals; I can't see how they wouldn't cause a high resistance connection. I would either use solder-on connections like you can get from a boat store, or else replace the whole cable.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Nate,

I read "clamp" as "bolt". I need to look at what Autozone is offering. The positive terminate is pretty much that way now. The negative terminal is crimped, but if that in turn bolts onto the terminal, it might work. I agree that new cables would probably be better.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

Regarding clamp on terminals, I and just about everybody I knew that competed in Auto Sound contests used gold or platinum plated battery terminals that clamped onto the wire. Many OEM battery terminals have at least 1 clamped on terminal.

Reply to
I. Care

If by 'rough shape' you mean corrosion, then you can count on that corrosion is also inside the cables. To save yourself trouble when you least expect it, replace the cables. No knowledgable mechanic will tell you using 'replacement' terminals are a good idea.

Dave S Texas

Reply to
putt