Same body Style ?

Is the body style the same (interchangeable parts) from '86 - '93 on the Xtended cab ? Doors/fenders/engines/trans/etc. I don't know if I have the correct years .

Reply to
mlornie

The following is not a rule, but a guide, like everything else, there are exceptions.

....and of course someone will undoubtedly feel the need to point out what I have forgotten.

But:

80-86 All sheetmetal 87-91 All sheetmetal 92-96 All sheetmetal

Front clips from 80-96 will interchange, (windshield forward) as a unit.

There are some slight differences from year to year in rear end sheet metal, so later model taillights will work (rounded ones), but not fit properly in older model trucks and the same with older model taillights (angular) in newer trucks.

They quit putting chrome letters "Ford" across hood in 81-82, and put an emblem in the grill instead. Also, they changed the early front turn signal lens color from amber to clear.

Some door sheet metal '95 and '96 I think, has small strengthening ridge along the bottom, but will fit all years in this group.

Engines and transmissions a little more specific, but stay with small block to small block, and big block to big block parts.

Rear ends, 9" or 8.8" (Smooth rear cover, is a 9", rear cover with bolts, is an 8.8")

This is not all inclusive, I just had my first pot of coffee and thought I'd type what I could remember.

Hope that helps you,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

A visible difference is the headlight/turn signal arrangement. '86-'91 is (more-or-less) the same with the turn signals on the outside of the headlights. '92-'96 has the turn signal below the headlight. I think this may affect the shape of the front of the fenders.

I recall reading somewhere that some of the engines became fuel injected in '86 and the rest in '87.

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

Thanks for the informative answers .

The reason I asked is because I purchased an '88 F-150 Xtend cab FI302 auto with the frame broken in three places , welded the frame up and drove around while I looked for a donor , then got hold of a '87 F-150 (same pt) with no doors or seats , then found an '86 F-150 (same pt) except

4WHDR with a shot motor/trans .

So I figure I'll take the motor/trans out the '88 put in the '86 , then the doors/seats out the '88 and slip in the '87 .

I'd like to take the buckets out the '86 and install them in the '87 but that would screw up the colours too much . '88 blue int. '87 brown int. '86 red int.

Reply to
mlornie

Yes the '87 to '91 had the "Nissan hardbody" look to it when they moved the turn signals.

Anyway, to the OP, looks like you have what you need, now just find an upholstery shop and you're in business.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader