Starter Solenoid Failures

Hi all,

I posted a while back about my '86 F150 eating starter solenoids and am now ready to just give up. I have replaced the starter, all starter cables, checked the block ground stud, run a separate cable from the ground stud on the block to one of the mounting bolts for the starter, replaced 4 solenoids, cleaned the mounting screw holes for the solenoid to ensure good ground at the solenoid, cleaned and checked the starter switch. Each time I try it out it welds the contacts in 10-15 sec of cranking. Any suggestions before I put this truck out of my misery?

TIA

Ammonman

Reply to
Ammonman

I am not sure if I responded to this before but have you tryed buying a solenoid right the the Ford dealer. I went through this on a Ford 302 and gave up on Autozone solenoids.

Amm> Hi all,

Reply to
user

Reply to
BattleGodz

Thanks guys for the suggestion, hadn't thought of that. I'll give it another go-around with an OEM solenoid and see how she fares.

Reply to
Ammonman

How many amps is the starter drawing?

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Another issue you may want to address is why you are having to crank it so long.

Reply to
Steve Barker HFC

Have you checked the amperage draw on the starter?

Have you checked all the cells of the battery with a hydrometer, a good hydrometer?

The starter might be a cheapo rebuilt, and drawing way too much current, way over the amperage rating for the solenoid.

Do an amperage draw test after checking the battery with a good hydrometer, after charging the battery well. uniformity between cells is more important than total specific gravity. Unless it is way too low after a good charge. Then that's one of your problems.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King