Still on the Starter Solenoid Welding

Got out the torque wrench today and checked the turning torque of my 351W. With the plugs pulled and all accessory drive belts on, it takes 70ft.lbs of torque to start this engine turning. Once turning it drops to about 50 ft.lbs. This is a new short block with less than 1000 miles on it. For that mileage, I don't feel that the torque value is excessive. Any thoughts? I am going to pull the starter on Monday and have it load tested to see if I have a defective starter. After the I'm stumped.

HI All, > > I finally got a DC amp meter and checked the draw on my starter that keeps > welding solenoids shut. The inrush current is 495A and running current is > 250A. Does this seem excessive? The starter has no problem turning the > motor and none of the cables get even warm after 10-15 seconds of cranking. > If this amperage is within acceptable limits, I am going to try an OEM > solenoid and see if I have better luck. If the amp draw is high, I guess it > is time to dig into the engine and see why. "sigh" > > AmmonMan > > -- > Never try and teach a pig to sing. It is a waste of time and just annoys > the pig. > > Validate my address and remove NOSPAM to reply. > >
Reply to
Ammonman

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 20:59:46 +0000, Ammonman rearranged some electrons to form:

Does this engine have a high compression ratio?

Reply to
David M

Nope, standard 351W setup. I bought it as a standard shortblock from a local jobber.

Reply to
Ammonman

Your contacts are welding shut for one of two reasons. First, which seems obvious to you, is that you have excessive current to the starter. The less obvious option, and far more likely, is that you aren't getting enough voltage to the coil side of the solenoid. The low voltage can't pull the contacts hard enough together, thus overheating them, then welding them shut. Start by checking the voltage to the coil itself. It should be within a volt or so of the battery voltage when you are cranking. Check the ground for cleanliness and voltage drop as well as bad wiring/connections on the hot side.

| > I finally got a DC amp meter and checked the draw on my starter that keeps | > welding solenoids shut. The inrush current is 495A and running current is | > 250A. Does this seem excessive? The starter has no problem turning the | > motor and none of the cables get even warm after 10-15 seconds of | cranking. | > If this amperage is within acceptable limits, I am going to try an OEM | > solenoid and see if I have better luck. If the amp draw is high, I guess | it | > is time to dig into the engine and see why. "sigh" | >

| > AmmonMan

Reply to
carl mciver