Testers

After buying, selling and otherwise horse-trading, I replaced my old two vehicles with two much newer vehicles, a 1997 Ranger SuperCab, and a 2003 Ford Club Wagon van.

Now that I'm nearly in the modern era, I was thinking that I'll eventually need an OBD2 tester. What suggestions do you have? Are the $100+ ones worth buying for the very occasional use I'd put to one? Is there a more sophisticated tester that is less than $300 or so?

Thanks,

CJB

Reply to
CJB

The one I use can be found here:

picked up a cheap 486 laptop off eBay for about $40 to go with the interface. What is nice with a setup like this is I can plug the laptop into my truck and drive around town with the laptop monitoring all the info. I can save the data to the hard drive and when I get home I can replay it and print out what pages I need for my info and so on.

Cheers, Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

That sounds cool. I already have a notebook, so I could use it.

Thanks,

CJB

Reply to
CJB

The cheap ones give you the codes and the ability to reset the ECM. No difference if it's $35 or $100. The decent ones also give you real time sensor readings, lots easier to troubleshoot a problem. For example, lets say the code is a lean condition, P0171. So now what do you do? With the better units you can read the temperature sensor and see what it says the engine temp is, without pulling connectors and using an Ohm meter. You can also check the TPS and MAF outputs, and so on. Hell of a lot easier.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Also try