Electric brake controller on 2005 F-150

I recently bought a 2005 F-150 with the 5.4L engine and the factory tow package. This is probably a dumb question but I can't figure out if it has a controller for electric trailer brakes or not. The light/electrical connector at the hitch has the pins for it. Do I need to buy/install a controller, or is one built in?

This is important because I am about to buy a large travel trailer and it's a long drive home (about 16 hours) from where I will pick up the trailer, so I need the brakes to be working when I hit the road! I could call the dealership and ask, but I don't really trust them. They told me my towing capacity was 9500 pounds, but in fact it is only 8000 (based on engine, rear axle ratio, and 18" tires).

Any help appreciated!

Reply to
Warped

IIRC, the '05 Superduty has an available factory integrated trailer brake controller, I am guessing the 150 does not, despite having the 7-way wiring connector. Even if it is available on the 150, if it isn't on the dash somewhere, you don't have it.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I have a 2004 F-150 4x4 5.4L with 3.73 ratio gears. It also has the 18 inch tires and is rated for 9000 pounds. It starts out at 9500 pounds and loses 500 pounds due to the

18 inch tires.
Reply to
Mark Jones

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:59:25 -0700, Warped rearranged some electrons to form:

Usually there is a harness under the dash to plug in your own brake controller. The harness is connected to the trailer connector. If you had a trailer brake controller, you would probably see it. You might consider reading the owner's manual....

Reply to
David M

The cable is probably in his glove box. That is where it was on my 2004. The RV dealer installed the controller and cable for me when I went to pick up my trailer.

Reply to
Mark Jones