Valve Spring Compression Tool

We are changing valve seals on a 88 Ford Ranger (2.3L I4). Is there a special valve spring compression tool that we need to use? Cannot get the one I have to work and the tool shown in the manual we are using looks like a pry-bar type?

Please, any help appreciate.

ShadeTree Mechanic

Reply to
Dragon FLH

That's because that tool is the one the proctologist uses to look up your ............ well, you know.

Reply to
Tyrone

Check your local auto parts store that sells tools for the lever type. NAPA is a good one. Are you changing the seals with the heads bolted on?

Reply to
Mark C.

Yes, doing seals with heads on. Talked to a service tech in the local Ford dealership today and he knew what we were talking about. Apparently we need the type of compression tool with hooks that go under the camshaft. Haven't seen this before but at least now I know what we're looking for.

Thanks anyway Mark. You were alot more help than the assman.

Reply to
Dragon FLH

I guess you know then that you'll need to hold the valves closed with compressed air or a rope.

Reply to
Mark C.

Yup, got the fitting off the end of my compression tester. Thanks again.

Reply to
Dragon FLH

Reply to
Jessie Herrera

If you don't have an air compresor, you can pull the plug and feed some rope into the cylinder. Bring the piston up on the compression stroke and it'll push the rope into the valves, holding them in place.

I've used this "trick" several times in replacing weak or broken springs back in my Hot Rod days.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Reply to
Jessie Herrera

No shit? I had an old friend of my dad's show me that trick back when I was in Junior High.. 1977? '78??

The only "gotcha" is making sure that piston is at TDC so you can't move the piston down the cylinder.. Makes it touch to figure out how much rope you'll need, but after a few tries, you'll get it.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego