Water in Diesel Fuel

I believe I got some water-contaminated fuel at my last fillup. When the fuel level got down to about 1/3 tank (38 gal tank), the warning light came on and the engine died a short time later. I drained the filter, the light went out, and the engine started. But the same thing happened about 5 miles later. I am wondering if there is an additive I can use to "dry up" the water in the tank. Would filling the tank help by reducing the percentage of water to total fuel volume? Or should I drain the fuel tank and replace the filters. I hate taking the truck to my dealer 'cause their prices are through the roof. Thanks...

Reply to
XLanManX

Drain the tank, you must have a LOT of water in it if your filling up the water separator that quickly, and draining it all out is the only way your going to get rid of it.

Reply to
Mikey S.

Drain the tank. Any decent truck stop should be able to help...

--Kamus

Reply to
Kamus of Kadizhar

Drain the water out of the sedimentor and replace the fuel filter. Use the manual pump if it has one to force the air out of the system.

Reply to
ATP

I couldn't find the sedimentor. Isn't it located next to the statosfram? :-)

Reply to
XLanManX

My F250 is a gas truck, I have a UD Nissan diesel and they call the glass water bowl the "sedimentor". My Bobcat has a similar item incorporated into the fuel filter, most diesels I've worked on have some way to collect and drain the water. The UD has a convenient hand pump that can be used to force the fuel through and eliminate air from the system.

Reply to
ATP

warning

statosfram? :-)