Water in fuel warning light

I have a MY 2000 Disco 2.

Recently the water in fuel warning light has started to come on for a couple of seconds immediately after starting the engine.

Does this mean that I have water in the tank?

Or is it just a quirk

I thought it was that if it came on and stayed on whilst driving there was a problem.

TIA

Gerry

Reply to
Harpic

If it were my vehicle I wouldn't be happy with a quirk like that. The injection system of your vehicle is very expensive and works to fine tolerances so I'd get it sorted quickly. There should be a filter in the fuel line which you can drain any water from to see if that sorts out your light.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

Sensor located in the fuel sedimentor? (Assuming that there is a sedimentor). Have you drained the sedimentor recently? If not, it's time.

Reply to
Dougal

In 2001, the water in fuel warning light on my 2000 Discovery Td5 came on for a time while I was on my way home from France. When I got back to the UK the service manager at my local LR dealer said there was a known problem with sensors. They drained what turned out to be a small amount of water from the filter and ordered a replacement part, which they fitted a few days latter. I ran that Discovery for a further four years and the light never came on again.

Reply to
Peter

Disco 2's are renowned for water in fuel sensor problems, so much so that Land Rover dropped them off the last TD5's. Best bet is to replace it with the latest type, part no WKW500070, which will give you the advantage of draining any water from the fuel filter as well. It might be worth changing the filter as well as this should be done every 24k anyway.

MArk

Reply to
Mark Dickinson

Mine used to do it as well. The fuel filter (which has the water sensor) was changed at the last service and I don't think it does it now, but TBH I haven't made a point of looking. I might just have got used to it...

The fuel filter is located in the offside rear wheel arch(*). Tubular thing about 6" long and 2 1/2" dia with some wires on the bottom and pipes at the top. It unscrews from the bit with the pipes attached and the wire connection unit on the bottom also unscrews. When screwing the latter back in don't over do it, 'cause if it splits you get a real nice fuel leak...

(*) About the only thing going for this location is that it is accessable. It gets all the spray and road dirt flung at it and the base with the wires is remarkably low as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

...and Mark Dickinson spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Thanks for that. The warning light on mine came on briefly twice on a recent journey. I unscrewed the filter drain and no water came out, but since I have done that the light has stayed off. Now I know why.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Thanks for the info, will check it out

Gerry

Reply to
Harpic

I've had the same intermittent warnings on my 2000 TD5. Since no water came out of the drain I've been ignoring it for over a year with no apparent detriment.

I'd still like to know why it flashes on as there must be an underlying cause.

Has anyone found a way to sort it ?

Reply to
Scothy

...and Scothy spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

I undid the drain plug, allowed a small amount of diesel (no water) to escape, and fastened it up again. No lights since then. Must be a hyper-sensitive sensor, or one with a powerful imagination.

Reply to
Richard Brookman