When to Use 4X4

Do you use your 4X4

1) if it's sleeting/freezing rain 2) if there's snow on city streets, with a recognizable tirepath. 3) snowing on the freeway, with a recognizable tirepath

Thanks.

Mike

Reply to
Michael
080905050008070600070304 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

1) No, I slow down

2) No, it's too hard to make tight turns on (the mid-Atlantic states) city streets 3) No, I slow down

Agave /Salud, dinero, amor y tiempo para disfrutarlos/

01 F350 PSD Crew Dually

Michael wrote:

Reply to
Agave

Mike,

I live in the mountains so I can't totally relate to an urban environment. In all cases common sense must prevail. Also, it would depend on your vehicle, manual or automatic locking hubs. In all cases you definitely do not want to bind up the drive train by turning in 4wd where the wheels do not have slippage.

I have manual locking hubs. In the environment you describe I would keep the hubs locked at all times. However, the Transfer case would be in 2wd. If there were to be 'straight line' braking, I would quickly throw the transfer case to 4wd. This provides even braking on all 4 wheels and can be done in about 1/2 to 1 second.

In the exact environment you describe you shouldn't need the 4wd. When you turn off the 'recognizable tirepath', and are on snow or ice, I would probably put in 4wd. Dry snow had fairly good traction. The wet stuff sucks.

Reply to
Mellowed

It entirely depends on the road surface. Mellowed had some good advice, and in all three of these cases you need to slow down whether in 2wd or 4wd. 4wd is not intended to make it possible to safely move at freeway speeds in these conditions.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Yes, and 'tis a shame more people on the highway don't heed your observation, Matt.

Reply to
StreetMedic

Unless of course, you just moved up from your car to your first 4x4 SUV (you know, real "trucks" like the BMW, Mercedes and Lexus SUV's) Then you can go as fast as you want in any condition, as you are indestructible now.

It's fun living in a semi-"well to do" location that gets occasional snow like Long Island. Other than L.A.and Miami, we must have the most Hummers, and all other high end 4x4's in the country, so it's fun to watch them drive

50-70K vehicles into ditches and barriers....

Scott

Reply to
IYM

Thanks guys for the good information. I'm beginning to understand

4x4 basics now.

Mike

Reply to
Michael