What oil do you use?

This ought to get you guys stirred up!

I've been using Penzoil in my Cherokee for it's whole life, but now it's got a new 4.0 engine so if I'm going to change oil now is the time.

I use Shell Rotella in my Studebakers because it's kind on the materials used in old engines. It would make life a bit easier to just buy one kind of oil so I'm thinking of switching to the Rotella in the Jeep.

What do you guys think? What oil do you use and why do you like it?

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

I use Mobile 1 in all of my vehicles beginning at the first oil change. Why not go ahead and use Rotella if you like it? If it works for you, why not?!

Reply to
Kate

I've successfully used Shell's Rotella T 15w-40 it in the past and was quite pleased with its performance.

It is a good quality oil with a high detergent package so after a couple months your 4 liter's innards will be all bright and shiny.

I do have a personal preference for synthetics and synthetic blends so I would probably chose the Synthetic Rotella T in the blue jug.

I realize that this extra protection is probably not necessary if you always change your oil and filters exactly on schedule but the extra cost of the synthetics are worth it to me.

I am currently using Phillips 66 TropArtic Semi-Synthetic 10w-30. A local retailer was going to discontinue the Phillips line and I bought all his remaining stock for $1 a quart. When this is used up (in a couple years ) I'll go back to full synthetic.

FWIW: I am going to be changing the gear lube soon and the best deal I can find locally on synthetic lube is Mobil-1. I would have expected it to be one of the regular brands...

Reply to
billy ray

I use Valvoline synthetic. Even with ~65,000 miles on my 2000 TJ, it's still surprisingly clean looking when it's time to change it (every 5000 miles).

I could probably go another three or four thousand miles before changing it, but there's no sense in keeping it in there until it's black and full of gunk. The engine's happy with it, so I'm happy with it.

~Ted

Reply to
The Lord of Eltingville

You decide!

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

I have 2 Jeeps with way over 300K km on them, one with 385 and they are still going strong on basic 10W30 oil. No particular brand loyalty either except for the local chain store brands.

Mike

Mike Romain

Rotella T in the diesels, and Valvoline/Havoline/Kendall in the gassers. I add about a 1/2 to 1qt of Dexron to the oil 50 miles or so before an oil change. The high detergent helps clean, I think.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Mobil 1, changed every 3000-3500.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Jeff DeWitt wrote in news:PlM2g.4296$ snipped-for-privacy@southeast.rr.com:

In an attempt to nip the dreaded oil thread in the bud before it goes any farther, here's the OIL FAQs:

Oil is good, have some in your vehicle.

Reply to
XS11E

"XS11E" wrote: Jeff DeWitt wrote in : news:PlM2g.4296$ snipped-for-privacy@southeast.rr.com: : : > What oil do you use and why do you like it? : : In an attempt to nip the dreaded oil thread in the bud before it goes : any farther, here's the OIL FAQs: : : Oil is good, have some in your vehicle.

FOFLMAO!!! good one!

Reply to
Kate

Regular Penzoil 10W-30. Have used it for the last 20 years, with no problems.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Jeff DeWitt did pass the time by typing:

I use liquid oil, the solid stuff is difficult to get out of the bottle.

Reply to
DougW

I agree Mike. If you change your oil & filter regularly (I change at 3000 miles) there is no need for synthetics. Regular 10W-30 is fine.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Well it's sure better than some of the threads we've had lately!

Jeff DeWitt (goats are cool, but only off grazing in a field!)

XS11E wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

It's Rotella T I use in my Studes. The fact it's diesel rated means it has additives that protect the allows used in old engines. Modern oils don't have them (or have different ones), and things like cam shafts and lifters tend to wear out much faster than they should.

Jeff DeWitt

Spdloader wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

My Jeeps are still at the stage of when they are down a liter, it is time for a change.

Mike

mabar wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I have always been partial to Shell products on the grounds that if it was good enough for Enzo Ferrari it was good enough for me. Rotella is a "goes both ways" oil, meaning it is okay for both gas and diesel engines. Shell has other products for diesels exclusively (Rimula) which I think are better diesel oils. They are high ash content which doesn't bother diesels but is not acceptable for spark ignition engines.

I prefer ashless dispersant oils for spark ignition engines where oil changes are done regularly and which burn any substantial amount of oil. If regular change isn't guaranteed or the engine is tight and burns very little oil I think Rotella is in fact a good choice.

Synthetic oils are good and necessary in extreme environments or in fleet conditions where engine oil is monitored and not changed, especially where bypass fine filtering is used. For "consumer" use in normal conditions I think they have drawbacks.

Your mileage may vary.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig