Where is the "Black Box" on a F-150?

My comment was only to say its already here, and has been for some time.. and in most cases with no advantage to the person being tracked. Onstar at least is trying to provide a service. I read too many stories of people being in an accident.knocked off the road into a gully, heavy under brush , or in one case about three years ago over a bridge into a tree, she was there for four days before being found by a highway maintenance crew, the other vehicle a hit and run. Its a ying yang thing I guess. I don't like being tracked, but tthe idea one of my kids might be in a serious accident and knowing Onstar will dispatch emergency crew if there is an airbag deployment and no response when they try to make contact is a minor relief. I pay cash when I am on my time, when on the clock, I'll use plastic, I run toll roads often, because they can often save me an hour or more drive time, and when on the clock I use my SunPass. The cell phone is the biggest tracker though. Some of them unless you pull the battery will still ping every so often, and if you make a call your found. The other one I hate ,and refuse to use if they require ID to sign up, is frequent shopper cards.. And in other countries its far worse than here, you cant spit with out a camera capturing it. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Its sad, but its unbelievable the number of people that really do believe oil changes are a racket, that oil never wears out, and some of them are educated people.. There have been posts both here and on the trucks.chevy board telling people their fools for changing fluids. We need a major war to cleanse the gene pool I sometimes think. Then again people like that kept me employed for a lot of years.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I'll just add that the theft deterrent factor too, as OnStar basically acts as a lojack and they can recover your auto quickly if it is stolen. A lot of insurance companies are giving you reduced rates equal to lojack for Onstar equipped vehicles. I just bought a car with it equipped (as it came free for a year) and thought I'd never use the phone feature as I have a cell phone. However, I have a 5-speed and find I use the Onstar when driving for a totally hands free call that allows me to shift....And as far as the car e-mailing me? That is a free service, but you have to sign up for it, so you have a choice. And it doesn't tell you "it's time to change my oil". Basically, once a month your car runs a diagnostic on itself and uploads the data to you via e-mail. Tells you what the mileage is, and how many since your last oil change. It also tells you the status of airbags, etc. The other thing is that if you have a "check engine light" come on, you don't need a code reader or a visit to AutoZone as you can push the button and they tell you what it is. That said, I'm not hocking the service, as I am very anti-big brother but just noting what is entailed with a service like Onstar. And you still have to remember, this is your choice. The minute they tell you that you HAVE to have this type of service in your car because they know what's best for you is "big brother", which is what somebody's problem with the "black box" is. You have no choice if it's in your car or not.

Scott

"Whitelightning" snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote in message news:_ScYf.4467$e11.280@trnddc02...

Reply to
IYM

I understand your concerned, I would wager to say that your children are much more likely to be struck by lightning (not whitelightning :-) or win the lottery, than they are to ever be evolved in one of those VERY VERY rare hidden accidents off the road and still be alive and unfound...

I would also wager to say other more "big brother" type less desirable uses, are vastly more likely to happen many times over before an accident like you have described ever will.

Yes England is out of control with that. The advanced software's they use with their extensive camera network is truly scary!

I say KEEP BIG BROTHER the hell out of my vehicles!!!

Reply to
351CJ

I just did away with the land line altogether. That eliminated 100% of them.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

Give them a voice mail number.

Reply to
clemslay

It is not an issue of being found. If the govment wants to find you they can and they don't need to use any of the things you mentioned. Ever use your home phone? (Just an example.) In fact I use all the things you mentioned. The difference is all of the others track you and can help them find you. With OnStar they can do something to you. They can unlock your doors. If they can unlock your doors, they can or will be able to do other things to the vehicle you are setting in. Ever notice that no one discusses how the system works or what protections are in place for you, outside of some generalities? There are two reasons for that 1) they don't want bad guys to break in to the system and 2) they don't want you to know or even think about how vulnerable you are.

Unless you abandon all society the govment can find you. It is about what they can do to you immediately that concerns me about onstar. Good intentions have been the reasoning behind lots of bad ideas.

Reply to
respk