04 Blazer EVAP DTC 0455 not gas cap

I have an '04 S Blazer 4 door with 47,000 miles that sets DTC 0455. I've changed the gas cap with 2 new caps (Stant locking type) code still sets. Short of pulling the canister out and inspecting "everything" what is the "usual" trouble found?? I was going to inspect the vent valve first, then the purge solenoid on the intake manifold, then the canister. One other thing, a year ago the vehicle was hit in the left rear side. The body shop replaced the left rear door and the left rear quarter panel. I don't think the canister was involved, but the filler pipe may have been. Sooooo.... what do you pros see as the most likley failure piece in the EVAP system??? I find it hard to believe a loose hose in the left rear (canister / fill pipe) area took a year to show itself.

Reply to
randy

Have a technician inspect fuel tank. He will likely find a deformed area from the wreck--partially broke loose a sensor that finally 'turned loose' , & knocked the tank out of original form. Is it worse when filling the tank? If so, try just installing 1/2 tank for a few days & see if code re-appears(REMOVE CODE FIRST!). May have to replace tank, as many vehicles have this sensor attached to floor of tank at assembly & there's no access door to replace. HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Stuck purge valve or cracked vent line. Purge vale is just in front of the spare tire. Drop the spare and pull the valve.

Reply to
Steve W.

Isn't your evap.sys still covered by your 5 yr. or 50,000 mile warranty?

Reply to
Andy

Hmmm...... Good point about the warranty... I bought it used from a GM dealer, but it was one of the "GM ???whatever (preferd??) "certified" ??? used car.... I'lll have to look through some paperwork!!! (if I really want "the dealer" to work on it!!)

Reply to
randy

That warranty, if still in effect re: miles & months, stays with the vehicle regardless of # of owners. When you see what's involved if tank has to be removed--differential likely needs to come out first--that decision "(if I really want "the dealer" to work on it!!) may already be made!!! s

Reply to
sdlomi2

I don't have a problem with any mechanical work, have a farm shop. I'm used to working on big stuff, tractors, trucks (real trucks) various farm equipment etc. However, I'm hoping to draw on the experience of others, you know, from people who see lots of this particular OBDII problem, (or at least seen it before) to save some time (hopefully). So far OBDII is not required on diesel farm tractors.....yet!!! After all, I'm located in the middle off "The People's Republic of California"!!!! with their stupid "farmers can't burn" and "cows fart too much" Valley Air Resources Board !!! Gee, sell the farm and move to northern Nevada, grow alfalfa, and cut the wire to the SES light!!!!! What a plan!!! Always looking for short cut that works!!

Reply to
randy

Oh ya, The "Warranty book" says California, gasoline, 7 year 70,000 miles for specific items (all of the pieces of the EVAP system are listed) BUT, it had to see the dealer for all of the prescribed service..... sorry, did them myself......

Reply to
randy

If I were you, I would still give the dealer a try. You have nothing to loose. One more thing. This is a stupid question, but you are using an OBDII scantool to erase the code, right?

Reply to
80 Knight

Yes, I have software for my laptop (Harrison R & D) that I purchased back in 2000 to look at and find a loose gas cap on my 1999 Bonneville. I've been in San Francisco at the ball game yesterday, and just walking around Fisherman's Warf today, the wife want's to take her truck somewhere tomorrow, so I won't get to look at it again until Wednesday or Thursday!!!

Reply to
randy