1985 Buick Regal

If my oil pump on my car is not working right will it cause my car to loose power on a hill and cause my oil/choke light to come on even if I have plenty of oil in it? My car did not over heat but when I stepped on the gas the engine reived up but my had no power. Gail

Reply to
gailjdno7

Gail,

It has been a long time since I did my own work, and there are people here who are far more knowledgeable than I ever was, and quite up to date -- That said, if your oil pump is not working correctly, park the car at home until you can get it looked at and repaired. Hitch rides with friends. If you drive your car around with low or irregular oil pressure, you will soon need an entire engine.

albert

Reply to
albert

Well, here is a strange phenomena that I have seen in the past...I am NOT saying that this is your problem, but I have seen it twice. It will sound far fetched to some, but here it goes.

The oil passages that allow the oil to drain back into the oil pan from the heads may be partially clogged with carbon. (cause by little or no oil changing throughout the life of the car.) When the car sits for a period of time, the oil will drain back into the crank case and be filled to the normal level. However when driving, the oil does not drain out of the valve train fast enough, back into the pan. The oil light will come on due to no pressure. If you have no oil pressure, your engine will have valve tick, and possibly knocking.

When this happens several things can occur. The valve covers will leak, the car will smoke, and maybe loose power. The engine may begin to develop a tick or a slight knock due to lack of lubrication if that is the case. Either way, this will eventually destroy your engine. You should be able to find out if this is the case by running the engine for a little while, turning it off and then pulling the oil filler off the valve cover (on the V-6) and look for massive oil pooling. If you have a 305 Chevrolet V-8 in the car, the oil fill cap will be on the valve cover as well. If you have the 307 Olds motor, you will not be able to tell if that is happening very easily, ,as the oil fill tube is at the front of the ongine.

NOW another thing........the floats in the carburator may have become saturated and do not float right. There are plastic floats, and brass floats that may develop internal leaks over time and fill with fuel. When they do they will sink, opening the needle valve causing a choking condition. TOOO much fuel will also cause no power.

Look for smoke out the back. Bluish white smoke=oil, ,Black smoke = too much fuel.

And then there is the horrible, horrible....engine revs and runs fine, , but no forward in drive.......transmission problems.

Hope this gives you something to start with.

Eightupman

Reply to
Eightupman