1987 Jimmy

1987 Jimmy has a broken emergency brake release handle. It's actually broken at the cable. The handle is about 8 inches long and it has about 8 inches of cable, where it broke, attached to the end of the handle. It looks like the handle and cable are all one unit. 1: If you followed the cable down, where does it attach to? 2: Is it labour intensive? 3: Is it an expensive part?

Since you're gonna have to buy one anyway, why not go to AutoZone and look in the HELP products-section & look at replacement part(s) & instructions on back? Should cause you to buy-and-try or else know you wanna get someone else to install. I've installed them and hood releases on that vintage, & they're neither one bad. But how long is a piece of string--to you--or to me--? Really, with basic tools, have at it. You'll end up buying entire handle, cable, and 'holding lug' as one piece, iirc. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Maybe you can attach something where the piece broke off?

On my 78 Olds, the T handle on the hood release broke off where the shaft connects to the cable. About 1/2 inch of the shaft of the T handle was left on the end of the cable.

What I did was make a pull handle out of an aluminum block. I drilled a

1/2 diameter hole in the end of the block, slid it over the broken part of the shaft of the old T Handle. I had drilled & tapped a side hole through the aluminum block, then a set screw was run in to hold the block in place. Worked great, and never broke again.

Good Luck

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face