1989 Buick Century - Coolant Level Warning

Hi all,

I have a 1989 Buick Century. For the last week, I have had to park on a hill sometimes (nose higher than trunk) and when I have started the car, the coolant level warning has come on. (If I parked on the straight, it didn't) It goes off after 5-10 minutes of driving, coming back on occasionally for the next 10 minutes afterwards.

This morning, the warning light was on even though I hadn't parked on the hill and it stayed on for about 20 minutes.

When I was making original enquiries about this car, someone mentioned to check for leaks if I got the coolant warning light in case it leaks into the oil. I am going to have a look at this when I get back from work this evening, but I am not sure what to look for :) I have the Haynes manual, which should help, but any pointers would be appreciated!!

I assume that the coolant fluid is fairly standard and I am sure I have the specifications in the handbook or Haynes manual so I will pick up some more of that too.

Also, I think that it is about time to change the fluid (two years right?) Again, I am sure this is in the manual, but can anyone give me an indication of how difficult this job is and roughly how long it might take? (The question in my mind is should I attempt it? I have relatively little experience, although I did (with a friend) do the rear drum shoes, cylinders and springs)

Cheers,

Ben

Reply to
Ben Holness

Some coolant loss over an extended period of time is normal, however checking for leaks is always an excellent idea. If the coolant is in the oil, the oil will look milky. As for for changing the coolant, an 89 used regular green antifreeze. Changing coolant is as easy as pulling the lower hose, but it makes an awful mess.

-- GW - Conservational Ergonomist - note incorrect email address

Ben Holness wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh