1990 Pontiac Grand Prix No Hi-beam problem

The hi-beams on my son's car have quit working and I am puzzled.

With the ignition switch on and the headlights on, the hi-beams will not come on. However, with the ignition off and headlights off, you can pull on the switch and the hi-beams will come on.

You used to hear a click when you pulled the hi-low beam switch and you no longer hear the click. At first I thought that there was a latching type relay between the switch and the bulbs, but the only wiring diagram I have, in a Haynes manual, shows that the headlights are powered directly from the hi-low beam switch.

I don't understand. If the hi-beam switch itself is bad, why will the hi-beams come on when you pull the switch with the ignition is off?

What am I missing?

Reply to
Joe Phillip

Might be a relay.