1990 Pontiac Grand Prix No Hi-beam problem

The hi-beams on my son's car have quit working and I am puzzled.

With the ignition switch on and the headlights on, the hi-beams will not come on. However, with the ignition off and headlights off, you can pull on the switch and the hi-beams will come on.

You used to hear a click when you pulled the hi-low beam switch and you no longer hear the click. At first I thought that there was a latching type relay between the switch and the bulbs, but the only wiring diagram I have, in a Haynes manual, shows that the headlights are powered directly from the hi-low beam switch.

I don't understand. If the hi-beam switch itself is bad, why will the hi-beams come on when you pull the switch with the ignition is off?

What am I missing?

Reply to
Joe Phillip
1986 was the last time I was inside of a steering column ( 78 Olds ), and there was a switch inside the column that was activated by pulling the turnsignal lever. The switch is what makes the click noise.

My 91 Service Manual for my Bonneville also shows a switch inside the lower end of the column. The actuator rod from the turnsignal lever down to the dimmer switch is about 9 inches long.

The switch is held in by one bolt and disassemble of the column is necessary.

Not sure of the reason why the highbeams work with the ignition off - but it could be something to do with the Flash To Pass feature if the car is so equipped.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,522 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Might be a relay.

Reply to