84 cj7 starting problems. It's blowing my Ignition fuses like mad.

Alright, so here's the deal. I was driving my mostly stock 6 cyl 84 cj7 on a trail when it just died on me. Turns out that I blew the fuse for the ignition system. So I got some more fuses and as soon as I put it in it fried. I've been asking around about what could be causing this but no one has really been that informative. Someone said it could be a shot computer, others said a faulty ignition coil. I have tried to make sense of the ignition system but the wires behind my dash are a mess. I checked the resistance on the ignition coil and the primary did read a little high (1.5), Could that be causing this? Could a fried ignition module be causing this? Computer? I just don't know where to start and what tests to run in order to isolate this. If it's the computer I think I would probably try the nutter bypass and trash it but I'd hate to start that project unless I was sure it would be the fix for this. After all I am pretty green when it comes to this stuff. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Kyle

L.W.(ßill)

You have a melted wire would be my first guess.

Check on the exhaust manifold for the harness touching there somewhere.

All the red wires under the hood feed off that fuse. The stepper motor and PCV solenoid right behind the carb, the vacuum solenoids on top of the valve cover, the idle relay on the firewall if you have one, the knock sensor, etc.

Also keep your eyes peeled for an orange wire that has melted, the orange wires also tag to this fuse in the downstream side of the sensors.

Under the dash would be my second guess.

The oil pressure gauge and sensor, the 4x4 light (and its switch on the t-case uses orange wires down stream, look for a melted on the exhaust pipe wire down under), the fuel gauge power and the temperature gauge power.

I think that is all of them coming off the ign/lps fuse.

And last but not least, the ignition module. That is an easy one to test. Unplug it and put a fuse in, if the fuse doesn't blow, suspect the module or the wires down stream from it.

Mike

Kyle wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain