1997 Buick Lesabre serpentine belt

Told my Grandpa I'd replace his belt for him. Found the dreaded engine mount in the way. The mount has a lower split in it, seems like it could be removed to thread the belt through.

Do I have to take the whole mount apart and support the engine or is there a trick? The mount is pretty substantial and you'd have to remove the pow. steering pump to get the rear portion off. There are three mount points to the engine and one to the frame.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Mark Schroeder

Does Grandpa's belt really need replacing? How many miles are on it? The engine needs to be supported when the mount is disconnected I don't recall hearing if the PS pump has to be moved.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~296,339 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

You don't have to take the mount out. If take the r/f tire off and then the plastic sheild on the fender wall you will find a bolt that connects to the motor and mount. Take that bolt out and a spacer (part of the mount) will come out to slide the belt through. You don't need to support the motor at all but getting the spacer back in can be tricky at times.

Reply to
scrapir