Serpentine belt Olds Delta 88 3.8L

Hey, it appears I need some advise. My 1995 Olds Delta 88, 3.8L requires the Serpentine belt replaced. I thought it would be an easy in/out replacement but theres a bracket mounted on the front of the motor which appears I have to remove this first to replace belt and install new belt.

Does anybody have a short-cut on how to replace belt without removing this bracket and how? I find no reference books that refer to this bracket but it appears to be the engine mount(?).

Rich

Reply to
ras5657

Part of the motor mount is a spacer with a bolt running through it. (The spacer is basically a metal tube a few inches long. Take the bolt out and you can work the spacer loose and then remove the belt. I don't know how to explain it better, but if you take some time, you'll figure it out.

Reply to
Cheezeypants

Others have posted in the past that the motor has to be supported with a jack when this mount is removed to replace the belt. I seem to recall the tire comes off too.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~267,300 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

In mine, it's a simple matter of a wrench on the tensioner unit and presto - down it swings. Belt is loose.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Joe O

What used to be a 90 second belt change has turned into an ordeal that could take over an hour or more.........

Thankfully on the newer 3800 GM eliminated that mount blocking belt.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~267,300 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

See the spacer on bottom part of motor mount but bolt that runs tru it is affixed to engine block. There a 19mm nut at the end of threaded bolt but spacer is still on bolt because it's behind mount. I was really hoping the bolt could be removed from block. Can it? It has a strange star pattern at end where nut came off.

Does anybody now if the motor will move much when motor mount is removed and how the heck to you remove the nut thats behind the Power Steering pully, there's NO room to get wrench in there.

Rich

Reply to
ras5657

"ras5657" wrote

You need to remove that stud which has a TorX end. You need a TorX socket to fit it, or you can often fiddle around with a 12 point socket and get one that fits. That will work.

You 'want' the motor to move a bit. Which is why you do need to loosen the top two bolts/nuts that hold the mount to the engine block. This will allow the weight of the engine to move the mount out at the bottom which will make it easier to remove/install the spacer. In order to loosen the nut that is behind the ps pump, just remove the two bolts that hold the pump to the block. You can access them through the holes in the ps pump pulley. Then you can just lay the pump off to the side a bit. You do not need to unhook any of the hydraulic lines.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

"shiden_kai" > You 'want' the motor to move a bit. Which is why you do need to

We always just took the space to the bench grinder and just slightly beveled one spot, made it MUCH easier to pop the spacer back into place.....

Reply to
someone

Ian, thanks for the help. Did belt today and all went ok. I went in through the right front wheel, behind a plastic cover. I took a Torx E10 socket to remove bolt and I shimmed the spacer up and out of the way. Didn't have to touch the rest of the mount. The belt replacement was quicker then the rest of the job.

Not related to this, I now have an "Check Engine" light, and "Traction Off" light on which needs attention now. I was near no wires so it must be a coincidence.

Rich

Reply to
ras5657