1998 chevy venture brake shuddering in reverse

I went to back out of my driveway this morning. When I hit the brakes, they shuddered, almost feeling like they were grabbing/not/grabbing/not.

In forward they felt fine. I only had this happen when hitting the brakes in reverse.

We just changed the front pads a month ago, and we had to change 1 rotor. It sounded like last night almost like the pads were dragging. Could a hung caliper cause this problem, only in reverse, if the piston is not straight depending on which way it is cocked?

I hate this car - do old minivans qualify for cash for clunkers?

Reply to
Walt

Any ideas if possibly this could be caused by the rears engaging before the front, or more than the front, since it is in reverse when the other shoe in the rear brakes grabs?

I hate this car. I'm being punished by it.

Reply to
Walt

If it has drum rear brakes one of the return springs on a trailing shoe could be broken. That can cause what your feeling.

Reply to
Steve W.

Why will I not feel that with my foot on the brakes though? It sounds like it is dragging in a reverse a bit, before stepping on it.

So if the shoes/drums are alright, what do u suggest, clean it all up and put on new hardware and adjust?

rears are such a pain - thank god for 4 wheel disc anymore.

Reply to
Walt

You wouldn't feel a return spring because they are not very strong.

Sure. As long as you don't have any leaks or other problems.

Discs have there share of problems as well. For the most part they do not provide close to the braking power of a drum system.

Reply to
Steve W.

I meant to say, I DO NOT feel it when not braking in reverse, just when braking in reverse.

Reply to
Walt

Rear brakes were cleaned and adjusted, looked good. Checked the fronts. When we took off the caliper bracket to change the rotor, apparently we did not retighten the bracket bolts enough. We lost one and and the other was almost off as well.

Talk about luck we found that ! Now to find the replacement bolts.

Reply to
Walt

Rear brakes were cleaned and adjusted, looked good. Checked the fronts. When we took off the caliper bracket to change the rotor, apparently we did not retighten the bracket bolts enough. We lost one and and the other was almost off as well.

Talk about luck we found that ! Now to find the replacement bolts.

I had this happen on a front caliper on a '98 Regal. I wasn't as fortunate as you. I discovered it when I touched the brakes at 75mph on Interstate

  1. Was definitely an awakening experience. You can either get replacement bolts from the dealer or just use a good hardened bolt from a local supplier. There's nothing special about a caliper bolt.
Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
Walt