2 Cavalier(S) Overheating Need Help

The 89 wagon sounds like:

Restricted passages in the radiator core.

The 90, sounds like a head just starting to crack. I bought my 92 knowing it had 7 heads put on it.

I took on the project for a mere 100 bucks, I got a junk yard head for $50.00 and had it reconditioned for $75.00 I ran it, saw it got cooler as I moved, but got hot if I went over 60MPH. The head cracked.

I got a 2.0 head and ported it for the injectors to fit from the 2.2 intake, I checked and checked. I found that the bottom half of the radiator was fully blocked by copper stop leak!

I hope this helps?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King
1 - 90-2dr / 2.2 / 5spd /air / 90K / new pump. Codes retrieved 25 and 44 . Engine gets hot and check engine comes on. Do not know if coolant has ever been flushed. Engine runs good.

2 - 89-wagon / 2.0 / auto / air / 29K / updated shroud and fan / new thermostate. No codes. Overheats in 80 to 95% heat. Heats up faster with AC on and motion stopped. When motion starts the car temp goes down to normal. Both cars have double fin radiators. Former owner went into asisted living. Car sat for long periods of time. Air works good and engine runs good.

Warren

Reply to
wyoung

Is there a coolant cleaner that really works and what is the best way to clean and flush the system. I would like to flush it before putting on a new radiator.

Warren

Reply to
wyoung

The stuff that Dupont used to make:

Was the undisputed best! It was a two section can, with an acid on one side and a neutralizer on the other.

It's not available anymore, it kills the bacteria and spores at the sewage treatment plants. Hence the shit no longer bio-degrades and it costs the municipalities thousands to dispose of the shit, and thousands more to culture fresh shit.

But, one of the over the counter fast flushes will work, then run a gallon of white vinegar through the system to clear the heater core.

I hope this helps?

Refinish King

PS Don't drain your old anti-freeze on the ground, catch it all in a pan, and take it to one of the local dealers or shops. They buy recycled antifreeze, and have to return a full drum or are charged more.So they will take your old anti-freeze.

Reply to
Refinish King

antifreeze,

Hmm, I wonder if this is a regional thing?

Here the wrecking yards give away old antifreeze for free.

What I have always done is wait for a really hot day then dump it in the middle of the street. Within a short time it's all evaporated. Probably not the most ecologically good thing to do, but preferable to dumping it down a storm drain that goes to the river. I didn't know that anybody recycled antifreeze, I had thought it all ended up in the sewer. I'll have to call around next time.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

You've never gotten caught just "dumping it in the middle of the street"? Holy smoke, Ted....you've been a "bad, bad" boy. Do call around, there are places that will accept antifreeze.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Hi...

I understand it's also a lethal poison.

Add to that the fact that it's very sweet, and smells "good", an awful thing to expose kiddies and pets to.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

There's an international franchise:

High Tech Anti Freeze, they get the old so clean. It looks like clear drinking water, then dye it.

Franchise opportunities are open all over the world and several territories are open in all the states in the USA.

I built my own recycler and exchanger. But many shops buy recycled anti freeze from High tech dealers, and there are a few other franchises out there. There are also in shop recyclers made by White Industries and BG, among others.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

It takes 5 tablespoons to kill a cat:

And about ten tablespoons to kill a small dog, and so on up the size scale. I know people who's dogs were poisoned by neighbors for barking. By anti freeze, it was a horrible experience for the ones who survived, and much worse for the ones who died.

It kind of makes you want to loose your sanity and kill the bastards who do that to an animal!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Thanks for the help. I have 2 new radiators and some flush. I will let you know how it works. We have antifreeze recycle at the county dump site.

Warren

Reply to
wyoung

unless it NEVER rains, you did dump it down the storm drain. Not all of it evaporates, some is left on the pavement waiting for water to wash it down the drain. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

It must be, not many places will take it around here. I have looked into purchasing a coolant recycler before. Pretty expensive. Around here I don't even know of a recycling service for it. As it is, Acompany I do some business with deals with a waste chemical company. They take my old chems in exchange for parts. Since they have to pay to dispose of it.

Never dump coolant in the street. Even evaporated, when the next rain hits, the chemicals in it will rise from the asphalt and be washed down the storm drain. It would be better if you put the stuff down your house sewage drain. At least then I couldn't harm any animals or fish.

I lost a cat to anti-freeze poisoning before. From someone else's careless disposal of it. It also pollutes the waters I like to fish. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I lost a cat to it. She managed to live a week in a animal hospital. All my pets have been in door/out door pets. Except for my possum, who never was allowed in. The possum didn't mind the dogs, or the cats. Never bothered a one of them.

When I drove a wrecker, I had to carry oil dry & sand. As well as a waste bucket, a broom & shovel. We cleaned up all spilled fluids, as well as other accident debris. Even if it were not a policy, I would have done so anyways. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

In New York it was a requirement:

In Pa it's just a kindly gesture, so one of your other customers doesn't drive over a piece of broken grille. then get a flat.

Common courtesy goes a long way in customer service.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

In two cities I did police tows for it was in the contract. When I worked from private wrecker services, you were only required to carry a broom (by law).

Your right about customer service. Do 4 people right, and atleast 1 will refer someone else to you. Do one person wrong and you may lose 10 referrals. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig
89 Cavalier

Put new radiator in - still overheating with ac on not moving fan working - as soon as the car starts moving the heat comes down to normal. It now overheats without the ac on - problem found that the fan not working when temp goes up - shorted out 2 wires for sensor on head and fan worked, replaced sensor - still not working - wires connected good but when I take off the connector the fan starts working and the check engine light comes on.

Warren

Reply to
wyoung