89 Cavalier Overheating NEED-HELP

     89 Cavalier 32K - 2.0 - Auto - AC
Replaced radiator - thermostate - temp sensor in head the one with 2 wires.
Overheats with ac on or off. 70 or higher outside temp. Faster with ac off because the radiator cooling fan never comes on. Replaced the 2 wire temp-sensor in head no change. The fan works with the ac on and the overheating takes a little longer. Also the overheating is only when the car is stopped at redlights or moving slow in heavy traffic. When the car starts moving, more than 20mph, the temp comes down to normal.
- What dose the temp-sensor in the head with 1 wire control.
- Are there 2 relays that control the fan. 1 for when the ac is on and another for when the temp gose up with the ac off.
- One other problem - the speedometer has a pulsing squeak that is always there ( have a 90 Cavalier with same problem ). Is it fixable by removing the housing and oiling a part inside the housing. Got a used housing for the 90 Cavalier, it is allot better, but it still has the pulsing squeak (changed the speed cable on the 90 squeak still there).
Warren
The overheating sounds like the relay:
Or maybe the fuse for the cooling fan, there are two relays.
the pulsing noise in the speedometer is due to a dry casing, and the cable binds then slips in the case. Pull out the cable, and grease it, then slide it back in, then pull it out and repeat the greasing a few times.
That should cure your noise.
Refinish King
"wyoung" <wyoungATintrexDOTnet> wrote in message

Regarding the cable noise, be sure to use a graphite based lubricant when lubing the cable, or the noise will return. These lubes come in dry and liquid form and are available at most hardware / automotive retailers. I prefer the liquid, not as messy.

check the in-line fuse which is located on the firewall near the relays, found that, that was the problem in my sisters Corsica. "wyoung" <wyoungATintrexDOTnet> wrote in message

Thanks for the help. I won't be able to check out these things until this Friday. I will let you know how thing turn out. Thanks.
Warren
Looked in Haynes manual couldn't see where the second relay is for the radiator fan. There are what looks like 2-relays under a shield on the drivers side fire wall, also there is a 20amp fuse inside a water resistant case. Did find the relay for when the AC is turned on, on fender just in back of the battery, seems to work whenever the AC is turned on.
[...]
Checked in to the local GM dealer today to have them put the car on diagnostics. (89 Cavalier) They said that everything is running normal and as it should be. The computer said that the temp was up to 226 and the radiator fan came on and colded everything down. I told him I was supprised that it would run that hot and he assured me that it was running according to specs. Thanks for all your help. Just thought I would report the findings to everyone. It seems that there was not a problem to start with on this car. The 90 Cavalier will be a different story, I'm sure.
Warren