2 tranny overhauls in 2 years- Opinions wanted

I have a 96 S10. It's driven mostly highway, no hard use, no abuse, no towing heavy loads. In Nov 2002, @90,000 miles, I had the tranny overhauled by a local shop with a good reputation. The overhaul came with a 12/12 warranty. 22 months, and 25,000 miles later, the tranny is doing the same thing. Hard shifting, slipping out of gear during downshifts, missing upshifts during acceleration. (yes, the fluid level is just fine).

My dilemma- Do I take it back to the same shop, because they have worked on it before, or do I go somewhere else, because a rebuilt transmission should last a lot longer than 22 months, under normal driving conditions?

Opinions?

Thanks! Mike

Reply to
AlienZen

First, I would check that the TV cable is properly adjusted, considering the symptoms you just described. If all is OK, I don't think I'd go back to the same rebuild shop - 25,000 highway miles is unacceptable, IMHO. Whatever happens, let this group know how you make out.

acceleration.

Reply to
carbuff

acceleration.

I would take it back to the same shop for diagnosis. If they enjoy a good reputation, they likely won't want it sullied by a prematurely failed rebuild. I would expect them to fix it at a much reduced cost.

Hairy

I think a LOT of the transmission rebuilding industry is a racket. I have a 96 2.2. Mine is starting to set the P1870 slipping TC code when hot on the HWY. After much research, i determined it was most likely caused by a worn valve body. There are aftermarket companies that make special kits and valves to help repair them.

I went to a few shops to see if they would do the valve body only. I just wanted the valve body work done (to see what they would say). I did not want them to warranty the trannie. The BS i got was your trannie is toast, we will ONLY rebuilt the whole thing. NO, we WONT work only the the valve body. Funny, i told my wife that's the answer i would probably get. complete rebuild, 12/12 warranty, extra year about an extra $200. Granted, there could be other damage on mine. But its been FINE around town. So in my opinion its worth a shot. I am going to check with a few smaller shops when it get a chance. I will bet you have valve body problems. Maybe some that were not properly dealt with the first time.

I am debating if i can do it myself. Sonnax makes a valve kit for the 4l60E. From what i understand, you can take the valve body off while still on the truck. Then you clean it and ream a hole for the updated TC control valve. I am still researching it to see if its doable for me. I am most worried about the check balls rolling off or being out of place. I guess there are a few in the upper trannie case above the valve body. From what i can determine, you use Vaseline or some similar trasco viscous goop to hold the balls in while assembling. The only problem is the reamer cost more than the valve.

Good luck on yours.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

maybe you can just try buying a rebuilt valve body and install it yourself :-D

Reply to
Koolaid