2000 Buick - intake manifold gasket already ?????

Friend of mine has a 2000 Buick Century Millenium Edition.

Car only has about 40,000 miles on it.

She is diagnosed as needing an INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET to the tune of about $700. She had a very slight anitfreeze leak and the check engine light was coming on.

Any others experienced this repair this early ??

Any SECRET RECALLS/WARRANTIES on this item ???

Car is out of warranty - after 3 years - NATURALLY.

TIA

Reply to
Conase

Common issues with the Stalwarth 3.1 Engines are Gasket replacements and piston slap. I would get a second opinion on the gasket leak issue. If you do replace the gasket, I can't recall the part number, but there is a TSB on a "improved" gasket replacement that lasts longer then the current one. The price for the gaskets are not too bad, the labour is a killer.

Reply to
Car Guy

Your friend is not alone. Good luck with GM.

Mike

Which gets me thinking - what exactly is wrong with metal? Sheesh.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

It costs money, and GM doesn't want to spend money to fix these problems.

Reply to
Brad Clarke

I don't think that it is cost alone but rather weight (weight = fuel). A lighter car will get better gas mileage and automakers try to save weight where they can. In the late 1970's, GM experimented with a plastic engine (V8 made of carbon fiber). At the time they thought that all of the engine could be made of the material.

Reply to
Rich B