2000 Impala wiring harness - where is it?

I took my Impala that has had frequent electrical problems to a shop. They told me that a $1000 wiring harness and many of the wires have melted down due to battery acid leaking on it. They did a patch job to get my fiancee home and it ran like a charm until it was in the driveway.

Here's the problem: I don't know where the thing is!

It's not either of the two plastic ones that are in plain sight between the engine and battery. I rewired the one of those under the battery in plain sight already, since it had some skinned-up wires for some reason and someone had already rewired three of them. This harness I'm looking for was not made obvious when I looked under the fender, either. I can't seem to find it.

Anyone know where it is and what it looks like? It's apparently responsible for all the codes my car is throwing and its refusal to start.

Any help is appreciated very greatly. I'm not exactly a seasoned mechanic and I'm getting sick of this.

~Jody

Reply to
Jody Lee Bruchon

Hey Jody, if you're gonna attempt this kind of repair, you need a set of wiring diagrams. Some people on here live near enough to a large library where they can go and run copies of the total wiring diagram and of the individual circuits, much like having access to a shop manual or to a Mitchell-On-Demand(or other maybe equally-good) program both which offer excellent help on such jobs. IMO, that should be your 1st step, esp. since it sounds as if you may not be a full-time auto technician. I have several man-years invested in the field, and even so, I'd 1st get those diagrams. Couldn't live w/o having my 'program' handy. It really saves a lot of otherwise wasted time. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

I got a couple of diagrams from my friend at a local auto electric shop who I actually maintain computers for, and I also found out just how moronic my question sounded to someone who knows a lot about cars. When I think of "harness" I envision some kind of device that attaches something to something else, like a connector mounted on the frame or something. I didn't realize that the term "wiring harness" in automotive lore means, in a nutshell, all the important wires in the car, connectors and all.

Forgive the newbie! :) At least I'm learning fast. I'm also working on trying to replace some gaskets and hoses in my 91 Merc Capri, so I'm really trying to do a lot and take in a lot of info at once.

Thanks for responding! ~Jody

Reply to
Jody Lee Bruchon