2002 gmc envoy trailblazer mileage

except the AWD minivans get worse milage than a Blazer, BTDT, won't ever buy a minivan again.

Reply to
Eugene

I own a 2002 envoy and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to improve my fuel economy such as k and n filters new intakes or what I could do. thanks bill

Reply to
bill

I think air filters only start to help after a free flowing exhaust is put on. At least that's what I noticed with my old 5.3 and the new 6.0.

Does your truck have the 5.3 motor? If so, they respond GREAT to mods.

I'm not familiar with the engine bay of a Envoy, but the following worked great on my Silverado SS.

A set of Flex-A-Lite electric fans free'd up a good 1.5 to 2mpg.

A set of good plug wires got me another 1mpg. Exhaust another 1mpg.

I'm not a fan of aftermarket airboxes or intakes, unless the engine is running some drastic intake mods like a LS6 intake manifold, cam, or blower. I get the best gas mileage with my stock airbox, and a simple drop in filter.

My all time high is 22mpg in a 5,300lb 4x4 truck. My average best right now is between 20 and 21mpg. During "normal" (fun) driving, I get high

18's.

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

My Adivice would be, if you were really worried about fuel milage, you would have bought somthing different anyways. Go buy somthing a bit smaller, maybe a minivan, there ya go lots better fuel milage, and you can get them in All wheel drive too.

Reply to
zerozero

A lot of people seem to think a minivan is an Ok vehicle (many of those will compare it to and bash SUV's in the process). We made the mistake of buying a minivan, it was taller and longer than my parents blazer so the minivan blocked the view of smaller cars. It also weighed more than my parents blazer and coming down the big mountain in WV on the way from their house, even with shifting the transmission to a lower gear, I would pretty much not have any brakes left at the bottom (almost rear ended my parents a couple times following them so we could eat in town before my wife and I went the rest of the way back to our home). I replaced the brakes with several different brands and couldn't get much improvement. I had to replace more parts on that minivan than their Blazer and it went through tires faster and needed alignmets more often even though my parents drove the blazer on worse roads. I finally got rid of that van and bought my second S10, its a much better vehicle and gets better milage than the minivan also (its 2wd though but after I put in a lock-right it will pretty much go anywhere).

Reply to
Eugene

Reply to
zerozero

Poor baby. I'll bet at least 90 percent of the time there is only one person in the beast.

Next time maybe you might not buy something that is a gas guzzler. For now, deal with it and understand that the rest of us are laughing our asses off at fools like you.

Reply to
Charlie

Reply to
zerozero

Yeah, no shit, I can laugh at that truck while driving my fullsize van with a 5.0 that gets better fuel economy than that thing probally. Never in my life have I seen a v6 get 15mpg and 20 on highway

Reply to
zerozero

Bill I won't talk down to you about a poor decision you made 2 years ago, like the others. What you can do is keep the tires inflated properly and buy a highway treaded type tire. The more pressure you run the easier they roll. Also have the alignment checked no matter how many miles it has on it. In the mornings, run without a/c on. You know the cars with the automatic climate control can run the a/c compressor whenever the control head wants it on. Limit your speed to over 45 mph but under 70 mph.

Reply to
noname

There are a number of options:

Not sure if it uses a traditional transfer case and drive shaft arrangement, but if so you could potentially disconnect the front drive shaft during the clear road season.

Keeping tire pressure as high as possible helps (not advised for certain Ford 4X4's (I won't mention roll overs & poor design)

Not sure what you want to spend (to save) or how far you drive. But if you love the vehicle & spend most of your time on the highway you could get a taller set of final gearings, that will save gas & make for a much quieter drive as well. That coupled with synthetic low friction oils for the drive line & engine could possibly add another mpg or two (depending).

Then of course there's a more radical approach....... Contact your local natural gas board & find out who does conversions. I know that there was an arrangement some places to allow for a home system to allow you to fuel your vehicle from home (slow compression). Of course that would depend upon the availability and practicality.

Finally & most importantly do some math.

Figure out how much more it costs you to run your truck over the mileage you actually drive. You might not save as much as you think that you might.

If you drive a lot & don't care what you're in 3/4's of the time, get a GOOD Sprint or VW Diesel. I know that here in Canada you can pick up older one's in decent(ish) shape for a few grand if you look around and they cost nothing in fuel. (but you wouldn't want to get hit by a

4x4 like yours when you're driving one of them).

To put things in perspective. I drive about 40,000 miles a year in my Olds 98 with a 3.8 auto. I would save about $1,500.00 CDN per year if I purchased a 1.9 Litre Diesel Volkswagen. However I might spend more than that the first few minutes in hospital should there be an accident. (& being an insurance adjuster I KNOW there's going to be an accident, only a matter of time).

You've got, what you've got, so we can't/shouldn't bitch that you "should have" purchased something less "evil". These are the options that I can think of. I'll await the flames

Me.

Reply to
Full_Name