2002 trailblazer exploding rear hatch

The rear hatch glass on my Traiblazer exploded while sitting in the driveway this afternoon. The glass shattered into a million pieces. Thank God the neighbors kids weren't playing on the side of the house. I was mowing the lawn on the other side of the house and heard the bang. My neighbor was sitting on his porch and saw the whole thing. We couldn't believe it. Has there been a recall on this? Has anyone else had this happen?

Of course the dealer's service depatment is closed for the weekend and I'll have to wait until Monday to take it in. I spoke to a sales manager and he said he never heard of this happening.

My wife and I were in the damn thing 15 minutes before it happened.

Reply to
joeforz

Maybe the lawn mover shot a rock out and hit the glass. Did a car full of youth's drive by just as it happened? Possibly one of them had a BB gun or slingshot.

Look inside the vehicle for a projectile that might of shattered the glass.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~259,100 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

"joeforz" wrote

No recall that I can see, there is a service bulletin about the rear glass being hard to close and the fix is something to do with replacing the weather-strip and shimming the handle. Maybe this is related....hard to tell.

Have you gotten your letter about the engine sleeves cracking? Perhaps your VIN is not within the breakpoints. Yay for GM quality...now we get to replace a bunch of these 4.2 engines. That ought to be a real moneymaker....not!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

"Geoff Welsh" < wrote

Good choice. It's actually supposed to only be a certain run of the engines. I don't think there is any problems with the 2003. I guess we already have one customer who has the noise problem, so I assume the other's won't be far behind. GM is actually sending a letter to the affected owners which means that almost everyone of them will perceive that they have a problem and will want a new motor. Which is what they get, once the noise/condition is confirmed, complete new engine goes in.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Sounds like it was caused by the interior heating up. Uncommon, but I bet it's happened before. The rear defrosters have a timed shutoff, this is so you don't heat the glass too much in the winter, or the same thing will happen...

Reply to
Mike Levy A+, N+, MCP

I have had it happen a couple of times on different vehicles. I would bet money on it being because the interior heated up. It always happens in the hot summer time. Don

Reply to
Don

Well the experts at GM say glass should only explode up until 10000 miles if the glass is defective and they refuse to cover it. So now it's up to my insurance company. The damn thing isn't even 2 years old. I'm of the NHTSA to file a complaint and the local news consumer reporter. Thanks for the replys folks.

Reply to
joeforz