3.4 liter V6 Intake Gasket installation

Ok - I have the motor out of my 96 Silhouette van. I'm installing a remanufactured long block. What's the proper proceedure for installing the valley / intake manifold. Is there a sealer that I should be using? Intake gasket failure was the cause of my engine failure and I want to be dang sure this intake gasket is sealed without damaging the gasket.

Thanks Peter

Reply to
Peter Crowl

"Peter Crowl" wrote

It's pretty straight forward. Make sure all surfaces are spotless and dry (use brakecleen and clean rags), have a good quality RTV ready, the black RTV that GM sells in a caulking gun style tube works very well, get yourself some "blue" (medium strength) loctite, and make sure that you have the updated gasket. I doubt that you can get it anywhere else but at a dealership. It will be completely black, including the rubber seals imbedded in the plastic gasket, and will have two metal pellets imbedded in the gasket at either end of the gasket.

Install the two side gaskets to the cylinder heads. Now install your pushrods (two different lengths, short ones on the intake valves, long ones on the exhaust valves) and torque down your rocker arms. Get your intake manifold prepped, clean and dry. Lay down a nice fat bead of RTV on the two block surfaces (front and rear) and make sure that you get some RTV right in the corner, even slightly under the gaskets will help, and extend the bead up the gasket just a hair, maybe 1/8-1/4 of an inch. Put your manifold in place, make sure your intake bolts are clean and dry, install the loctite on the threads, torque all the bolts in sequence to 11 ft lbs, and then torque the 4 end bolts to 18 ft lbs. (this is for the updated gasket)

That should be it. If I missed something, someone else chime in.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Sounds right to me. That's pretty much how I did mine. Except I used Naptha instead of brake cleaner to clean the gasket mounting surfaces. I also recommend the GM black RTV. I couldn't find anything comparable at the local parts shops. It's overpriced at the dealer. I think I paid around $16 for a 3 oz. tube. The part # is 12345739

Reply to
Baboo

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Sounds pretty typical for most V type engines. Why do these OEM 3.4 liter gaskets chronically fail? Maybe FelPro would be worth a try, they may have a super duper set to address the problem.

Reply to
Lee Richardson

"Lee Richardson" wrote

Yes...probably to you and I, but not to the un-initiated.

Maybe, but for all I know, they are the suppliers of the OEM gasket. As I mentioned, there is an updated gasket available, but I doubt that you will find it anywhere but at the dealers at this point.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I'll be getting a gasket with the Marshall Long Block I've ordered...but...mayhaps I should get an updated GM gasket eh? I really (really) don't want to have to do this job again!

Peter Who thanks all for the help!

Reply to
Peter Crowl

I would check with FelPro for their latest intake set. Check with them directly, do not rely on your local supplier, there is a slight chance he may be trying to move an earlier version he already has on the shelf. While it very well may be that GM is using FelPro for this application, it is also possible they are getting them from Imperial Chinese Gasket Factory in order to save a nickel. You gotta admit GM's past history on this particular gasket set is not reassuring. About as good as Neon head gaskets, several revisions on that one also.

Just an opinion.

Lee Richardson

Reply to
Lee Richardson

I have contacted FelPro (Federal Mogul) tech service and asked for a statement about what they can offer here.

IF they respond, I will post their position and product.

Reply to
Larry Smith