intake heat tube gasket

I'm installing an intake that has an exhaust heat tube on my 1600 DP that the previous owner cut off and put block-off plates on the exhaust. Is there any locally found gasket material I could locate instead of having to wait for an auto store to get it in or ordering by mail? I wanted to get the engine reinstalled and running again tomorrow if possible. I appreciate it......

Reply to
Mac

Gotta be super hi-temp. Wander around an auto parts store that caters to Detroit iron and look for a large enuf metal-asbestos gasket that you could cut to size.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably just bolt it together without a gasket for now and order some online...... being the holiday season it will take forever to get here. I ordered some parts for my motorcycle Friday and UPS is showing a delivery date of the 30th. Have a great X-mas!!

Reply to
Mac

you could also use a little muffler cement before bolting things together without a gasket

just an idea! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Can you guys think of any reason that copper, like flattened copper pipe, should not be used? Dissimilar metal issues or adverse reactions to exhaust?

Reply to
Mac

Any shop which has ever worked on lots of VWs will have a bin of those gaskets somewhere. Just find such a shop and buy one. There's got to be between 1 and 20 such shops in any town. Don't make this harder than it needs to be.

I have dozens in my basement....

-

Jim Adney