4.3L 91 GMC Safari/Chevy Astro Van automatic transmision problem

Hi guys, I just bought a GMC safari wan with 4.3 L engine and 4 speed (with OD) transmision.

My problem is it is my first 4.3L and when i put it in Drive, it engages very hard: it looks like car is reving at 1500 rpm and i change the shifter from neutrol to Drive. It is smoother when i shift it to reverse.

What might be the problem?

in addition, it is a little bit late but does this trucks have any known problems.

Reply to
ulas cosar coskun

Having almost a year ago replaced a 4L60E in my 97 Astro that listed at Chevrolet for about $ 1900 uninstalled. My cost through a friend that has a body shop was about $1320.00 for a GM Goodwrench 4L60E unit.

Since I have gave you the good news.

I know you are now on the edge of your seat waiting for an answer to your question.

Answer: Simply those transmissions are weak.

Because of the problem you cited take the vehicle back

  1. selling dealer get it fixed
  2. get selling dealer refund you your money
  3. exchange for another vehicle.

snip

.
Reply to
charge

Charge,

I still think there must be another reason. It drives fine but engages hard only. I thought that it might be a vacuum leak. I know a car engages hard just because of it. Do you have any other idea.

Reply to
ulas cosar coskun

plain and simple get the idle speed where it belongs. 1500 rpm is way out of line. Look for a defective idle air solenoid or a vacuum leak

Reply to
oldfart