2006 Tacoma

Hello, Anybody care to comment on the Tacoma transmission? I'm reading a lot of negative reviews regarding the 6 speed manual transmission that comes with the V6. I prefer a manual, but many insist that the automatic is the only way to go with the V6. Comments?

TRD off road vs. TRD sport?? I hate the hood scoop that comes with the sport model. Is the street handling really that much better with the sport? I'm not an aggressive driver on the road, but I do often haul firewood, tow a firewood splitter, way overpack for camping trips, etc. That's why I figure that the TRD off road (with beefier suspension) would suit me better than the sport. Comments?

Also I have read reviews that highly recommend the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC). It kind of creeps me out knowing that it can override the driver's throttle and braking. I'm also not keen on the extra complexity of the system - something else to malfunction. Any strong testimonials in favor of VSC?

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses. M.Paul

Reply to
M.Paul

The tranny is a tad vague, but not terrible. It reminds me of every other Toyota pickup tranny I've used, with an extra gear. What did you think during test drives? Reverse takes some getting used to, but gets easier after 5-700 miles. The only negative reviews I've seen of it were moronic newspaper reviews that also complained about the parking brake. Toyota pickup parking brake handles are BRILLIANT! Check out the panel on other trucks where Toyota puts the brake handle. What's there? NOTHING! Wasted space! So most everybody else puts the brake where your beer, the camera, your wife's purse, etc... typically is sitting. FWIW, some small planes have the brake in Toyota's location, because there are control devices between the front seats.

There is a TRD short shift kit available that I plan on installing in the spring. ** - I personally *hate* automatic transmissions, as I like having the positive control of a clutch and gear selector in sketchy traction.

What did you think during test drives? I bought an OR 'cause the higher profile tires air-down better off-road, I wanted an electronic locker, and I also didn't like the hood scoop. I also like chrome. Ummmmm. Chroooommmmmmmmmeeee...

Scroll back up to: ** -

I like some safety advances, like _properly designed_ ABS, airbags, etc... I'm not a curmudgeon. I've HATED every stability controlled vehicle I've tried. Why? If I'm getting into trouble, I'm driving too fast for conditions. VSC can only fix so much, then it's all over! To me, it's better to know when the issue is developing rather than when raw physics take over. I always wonder how many upside down and/or 50 feet into the woods off the interstate SUV's you see during snowstorms have VSC?

I would also wonder how the VSC would deal with aired down tires off-road. I've heard of some Honda Ridgeline and various SUV owners having the system get confused in actual off-road conditions.

If you can, and your latitude supports it, go test drive on a snowy day, try the VSC in a large parking lot. It's unlikely a stocked truck would have it, so you may need to try VSC in a 4Runner.

Have fun!

Reply to
B a r r y

Thanks Barry, Today I purchased the 06 prerunner v6 manual access cab with off road and tow packages. The size difference between it and my old '92 pickup is huge. This thing barely fits into my garage! Yes the tranny is vague, but that really doesn't bother me - I'm used to it with my old pickup! What I thought during the test drives is that the clutch engages way early, but I figure that it's another thing I'll get used to. Also the rpms go crazy - especially when cold. It wants to jump up and down between 1 & 2+k for the 1st 15 minutes or so whenever the clutch is disengaged (and I'm not a mild climate). I don't like the idea of constantly revving over 2 k every time I disengage the clutch. The dealer says this is normal and that others have complained about it as well. In fact I'm sure that I read about others complaining about the high rpms too. I'm hoping this goes away during ecu learning. I agree with you on the parking brake setup - my 92 is the same so it's no problem with me. Please post your eval of the short shifter once you have it installed! I like having the rr locker as well. I don't go 4 wheelin and I don't travel much to snowy areas, but I do go off road for minor previously mentioned events and the locker will help get me out of some tough spots where I've gotten stuck in the past. I avoided the VSC, although another person was purchasing the exact same truck with VSC while I was there - he said that he spends a lot of time in snowy conditions. Thanks again for your comments. M.Paul

Bry> M.Paul wrote: ??>> Hello, ??>> Anybody care to comment on the Tacoma transmission? I'm reading a lot ??>> of negative reviews regarding the 6 speed manual transmission that ??>> comes with the V6. I prefer a manual, but many insist that the ??>> automatic is the only way to go with the V6. Comments?

Bry> The tranny is a tad vague, but not terrible. It reminds me of every Bry> other Toyota pickup tranny I've used, with an extra gear. What did you Bry> think during test drives? Reverse takes some getting used to, but Bry> gets easier after 5-700 miles. The only negative reviews I've seen of Bry> it were moronic newspaper reviews that also complained about the Bry> parking brake. Toyota pickup parking brake handles are BRILLIANT! Bry> Check out the panel on other trucks where Toyota puts the brake Bry> handle. What's there? NOTHING! Wasted space! So most everybody Bry> else puts the brake where your beer, the camera, your wife's purse, Bry> etc... typically is sitting. FWIW, some small planes have the brake Bry> in Toyota's location, because there are control devices between the Bry> front seats.

Bry> There is a TRD short shift kit available that I plan on installing in Bry> the spring. ** - I personally *hate* automatic transmissions, as I Bry> like having the positive control of a clutch and gear selector in Bry> sketchy traction.

??>> TRD off road vs. TRD sport?? I hate the hood scoop that comes with ??>> the sport model. Is the street handling really that much better with ??>> the sport?

Bry> What did you think during test drives? I bought an OR 'cause the Bry> higher profile tires air-down better off-road, I wanted an electronic Bry> locker, and I also didn't like the hood scoop. I also like chrome. Bry> Ummmmm. Chroooommmmmmmmmeeee...

??>> Any strong testimonials in favor of ??>> VSC?

Bry> Scroll back up to: ** -

Bry> I like some safety advances, like _properly designed_ ABS, airbags, Bry> etc... I'm not a curmudgeon. I've HATED every stability controlled Bry> vehicle I've tried. Why? If I'm getting into trouble, I'm driving Bry> too fast for conditions. VSC can only fix so much, then it's all Bry> over! To me, it's better to know when the issue is developing rather Bry> than when raw physics take over. I always wonder how many upside down Bry> and/or 50 feet into the woods off the interstate SUV's you see during Bry> snowstorms have VSC?

Bry> I would also wonder how the VSC would deal with aired down tires Bry> off-road. I've heard of some Honda Ridgeline and various SUV owners Bry> having the system get confused in actual off-road conditions.

Bry> If you can, and your latitude supports it, go test drive on a snowy Bry> day, try the VSC in a large parking lot. It's unlikely a stocked Bry> truck would have it, so you may need to try VSC in a 4Runner.

Reply to
M.Paul

Most new vehicles do the same. From what I understand this has to do with emissions, and wanting to warm up the vehicle as fast as possible.

Reply to
B a r r y

I have not owned a single new vehicle where the rpms "jump up and down between 1 & 2+k for the 1st 15 minutes" This sounds like a problem that needs to be addressed.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
Ed White