87 GM 3.8L Revs at startup

My baby Bonneville has an odd behavior, when you start it up in the morning when it's cold it just revs like crazy! up around 2K! If you put the ac on, it quiets the thing down a little. Once you drive for 5 minutes, if you put it in park, it idles normall at about 1.1K or whatever.

Check the error codes? Is it a choke? It's fuel injected, there is no choke! some sensor or other? How do you test this?

Help, my Bonnie lies over the tachdometer...

-b

Reply to
dp

Check your TPS voltages. I don't remember off the top of my head, but I believe idling the TPS should read about .5 to .7 Volts. If you have a scanner which displays TPS percentage, ignore it. The computer correlates

0% to the voltage present when you start the car.
Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
David J and Lynne J Shepherd